CAD CAM fun

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richburrow

Established Member
Reaction score
I have been been messing about with the Laser and the vinyl cutter at my new school.
The machines are brilliant and very easy to use, it is the cpu program that takes time to get comfortable with (2D design.) I am getting there and it is a good program, I am finding out new ways to do things all the time.

Anyway here are some of the things I have been up to. There are more to come but these are the few I have pics of.

P1000188.jpg

P1000185.jpg

P1000184.jpg

P1000183.jpg

P1000182.jpg

P1000181.jpg

IMAG0269.jpg

I bought a laser cutter/ engraver in October - had a bit of fun with it:-

spitfire.jpg

Hoping to make my money back with it one way or another :)

Dave

Hi Rich,

Thanks
I got it from HPC laser - a LaserScript 3020. Will cut up to 4mm ply and the bed is about A4 size.

It engraves pictures quite well - this was one of my car. Takes a bit of messing about in a graphics program to get it just right.

ScorpioKR2.JPG

Dave

I have just had a look on the net and that looks like a nice machine. They are fantastic tools, I find that acrylic comes out the best, the cut edges are nice.
I will keep topping this thread up when I have more pics and do more projects, I have a nice one with light gathering acrylic and leds (WIP.)

The last min dolls house was cut out on the laser, the door and windows look nice close up

P1000201.jpg

P1000200.jpg

P1000199.jpg

haha
I cut the masks for the lettering out on the vinyl cutter and sandblasted the detail onto the glass. I think there is mileage in these. More things for the todo list :D

i remember when my dad got his first CNC router i had endless pieces of scrap ally/steel/plastic/wood with my name carved in, my favorite was a two inch thick piece of clear acrylic with my name positive cut out and he had buffed it on felt wheel. he also made some interesting testers out of 50mm mdf like a half sphere and cone.

adidat

Some more glasses, I thought some of you might be interested in the process (no pics of the v cutter sorry.)

P1000563.jpg

P1000564.jpg

P1000565.jpg

P1000566.jpg

P1000567.jpg

P1000570.jpg

P1000571.jpg

A DIY set up, not purfect yet but getting there. I am getting about 50% wastage with the grit. I have got another plan with an oil drum in mind.
The worst stage is peeling of the masks at the end, very time consuming.

they are really good Rich, hope i can have a play sometime with the gun, i owuld have though you would need some sort of vac to collect the used sand and return it to the tray. :lol:

Cheers Steve.
You are welcome to have a crack at it, it is good fun, full face protection is a must. I use the power cap and a dust mask to be sure.
Next time I am going to do away with the workmate and put the bin on the ground on a large plastic sheet. Plenty gets trapped in the bin but some blows back out. Also this weekend was so windy the blow back went everywhere :D
RB

richburrow":33vh7gbo said:
Cheers Steve.
You are welcome to have a crack at it, it is good fun, full face protection is a must. I use the power cap and a dust mask to be sure.
Next time I am going to do away with the workmate and put the bin on the ground on a large plastic sheet. Plenty gets trapped in the bin but some blows back out. Also this weekend was so windy the blow back went everywhere :D
RB

Hi RB

Got some great work their m8, really like the glasses will need to get one with Empty on the bottom to play a couple of tricks on some friends lol.

Could'nt you make a small cabinet like this to do your work in or is some of the bits you do too big for one.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/14152057/Popular-Mechanics-PlansHomemade-Sandblasting-Cabinet-Blueprints

Cheers

Dave

Nice work indeed!

Dry ice is another option - bit expensive but nothing to clear up, it just turns to water :)

Dave

Erm, if a CAD/CAM machine can turn 'dry ice' into water, then dammit I want one! Alchemy is alive and well!

Sorry :)

To be slightly more on track - those designs that have been posted up so far are amzing - would you take commissions from prepared 2-d artwork?

Cheers,
Adam

Kalimna":5y7nfdhb said:
Erm, if a CAD/CAM machine can turn 'dry ice' into water, then dammit I want one! Alchemy is alive and well!

Sorry :)

Get yer coat ;-) I was talking about an alternative to sand for blasting :)

Best

Dave

Latest posts

Back