Cabinetmakers Screwdriver Set

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ian Dalziel

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi All,
I am on the lookout for a Quality set of Cabinetmakers Screwdrivers. Price is unimportant but they must be preferably British
anyone know of these slowly diminishing sets

regards
Ian

A mere snip at $289.95, there are these.
eek.gif
Or someone seems to be still making them in Sheffield, but where you can get them over here I'm not sure. Ooo, wait, here we are. IIRC, watch their postage charges...
ermmm.gif
Trouble is rumour has it they're not actually much good, which is why everyone keeps begging and pleading with Rob Lee to step in and save the day.
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

Trouble is rumour has it they're not actually much good

They are not great screwdrivers for the types of screws we use nowadays but for old screws for which the tips were designed for they work fine.

thanks for the links

regards
Ian

Hi,

There is a wooden handles screwdriver set in Axminsters catalogue...don't know about quality...I saw them last week when I paid a visit. Look OK.

Any one know whats the difference between "old style screws " and newer ones..see above post.

There is a wooden handles screwdriver set in Axminsters catalogueAny one know

By Crown. As per Alf's link above.

whats the difference between "old style screws " and newer ones..see above post.

Me to. Is it pozi 'Cabinetmakers pattern' screwdrivers that are being sought.? :?

Ike

Getting flat-bladed wooden-handled screwdrivers isn't difficult, as posts above show.

But I posted a while ago on the subject of any other variety (ie, cross-head, posidrive, square-head etc) and after extensive research the only possibilities I turned up were these:
http://www.fine-tools.com/schr1.htm
without the cabinetmaker's handles.

After noting from pictures that Christian Becksvoort appears to have a full set, I e-mailed him and asked - cheeky I know, but he was awfully gracious and replied the same day :). He makes his own (removes handles from nasty commercial types, and turns new wooden ones).

Axminster. D'oh!
rolleyes.gif

As to why I say they're rumoured to not be much good, nothing to do with screw types and everything to do with the durability (or lack thereof) of the tips apparently. Don't ask me; I have plenty of old ones.
tounge.gif

Cheers, Alf

<<<After noting from pictures that Christian Becksvoort appears to have a full set, I e-mailed him and asked - cheeky I know, but he was awfully gracious and replied the same day . He makes his own (removes handles from nasty commercial types, and turns new wooden ones).>>>

If he makes his own handles how does he get the plastic ( I assume) handles off...I assume he starts with a plastic handle moulded around a piece of metal ( blade). I wonder does he burn off the plastic, cut it off etc etc.

beech1948":3dj7ha4n said:
If he makes his own handles how does he get the plastic ( I assume) handles off...I assume he starts with a plastic handle moulded around a piece of metal ( blade). I wonder does he burn off the plastic, cut it off etc etc.
Dunno how he does it, but a few options here.

Cheers, Alf

Alf, do you hang out on *every* woodworking forum in the world? :)

CB didn't disclose how he removed the ugly handles, but from what I've seen of plastic-handled screwdrivers, they're a lot simpler construction than chisels. In fact, if you bought the right sort, with those semi-transparent handles, you can see exactly what you're dealing with before you start dismembering.

I'd be happy to have at a bunch of cheap screwdrivers; the issue for me is the new wooden handles since a) I don't have a lathe, and b) have no intention of getting one!

Pete W":300t3dk1 said:
Alf, do you hang out on *every* woodworking forum in the world? :)
Of course not, I'd never get anything done!

Ah. Umm. Maybe that explains alot...
unsure.gif

Pete, I feel deja vu coming on. I've really got to get back to the lathe and have another go at an oval handle, haven't I?
rolleyes.gif

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1xl0y634 said:
I've really got to get back to the lathe and have another go at an oval handle, haven't I?

About four or five dozen ought to get things started :)

If you nag me, do I not capitulate?
tounge.gif
I may have a list of things to make in time for Christmas longer than Santa's little elves', but nevertheless I spent an hour in the workshop trying another handle. Some observations:
  • 1. Do not necessarily choose the first piece of scrap that you trip over - sycamore is nice to turn but too soft for the task really. Still, it looks really aged already...
    unsure.gif

2. I don't have the required mathematical mind to work out what off-set to use given the length of the blank, so I guessed. Badly.
    annoyed.gif
    Anyone? Is there a solution, or just a matter of practice and experience...
    blink.gif

3. Really coarse abrasives hide a multitude of sins.
    naughty.gif

4. I really need a proper chuck to hold the blank while I bore for the shaft of the screwdriver on the lathe. Eyeballing it with a hand drill isn't greatly sucessful.
    rolleyes.gif
    But then maybe there wouldn't be enough leeway to allow for the off-centre chucking at the tail stock... Might be one for the turning board there.
    5. The bright red plastic handles on Axminster's El Cheapo screwdrivers (free with an order over the value of something-or-other last year - the smallest slotted one is just right for the Veritas set screws, btw) come off like a dream with a little application of heat from a hot air gun.
    whistling.gif

6. Grinding a square tang at the end was easy peasing and worked really, really well </that woman off Changing Rooms>
    smile.gif
I now have a 1pt Phillips screwdriver with a waxed, wooden, very slightly oval, handle and a brass ferrule. Time will tell if the verstigial tang I ground in the shaft will be sufficient to hold it from twisting loose. Stay tuned. I'd do a piccy, but can't 'cos of the kaputted camera.
annoyed.gif

Cheers, Alf

how to remove the plastic handle from a screwdriver ,HIT IT WIF A BIG AMMER :twisted: :twisted: cof cof

Alf":30ambmbe said:
I may have a list of things to make in time for Christmas longer than Santa's little elves', but nevertheless I spent an hour in the workshop trying another handle.

Well done you... I'm very impressed :).

Sounds like a reasonable success, too - first-ish attempt and all that!

Hope Santa is bringing you a new digital camera, among other things.

Back