Cabinet scrapers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

No skills

Established Member
Reaction score
Greetings all, might get a couple of cabinet scrapers (and a burnisher :wink: ). Are there any brands to avoid or any that are recomended? or are they all much the same?

cabinet scrapers are just a bit of flat metal, cut up an old saw, that will do the trick. But if you want to buy new you cant go wrong with the clifton set.

sharpening them is a different matter, the clifton burnisher is the sexiest, and works quite well.

once you figure out getting them sharp, they are a very useful tool in you inventory.

adidat

adidat":2nha11uc said:
cabinet scrapers are just a bit of flat metal, cut up an old saw, that will do the trick.

What is the best way to cut up an old saw into a scraper shaped object?

im talking about a hand saw, angle grinder or a hack saw, then if you want a profile drill out a radius and finish off with a hacksaw and a file or bench grinder.

its quite important you don't overheat the piece so dip it in water to cool it down

adidat

I bought a whole set including a French curves one from Matthew at WSH CLICK HERE and it didn't break the bank. Use them all the time on burrs and other nasties and they are beautiful.

Highly recommended indeed. This gives you various thicknesses which are valuable in different circumstances, I would also get a pair of leather thumb guards though...they get darn hot sometimes!

Jim

Some burnishers are sold unpolished (one German make springs to mind.) To produce a more durable bur, these should be brought to a fine polish before ticketing a scraper.

Hi,

Pop down to your local Pound shop and but a hand saw, cut it up with a hack saw and you can make loads of scrapers.

DSC_0079.jpg

Pete

Much though I agree with your sentiment of economy Pete and Chris....I do think that £1 is a little over the top! :mrgreen:

If I found one of those springy thingies at a bootfair I could find a hundred...Perhaps a cheaper source? 8)

That being said...you could use a screwdriver shaft for a burnisher as well but the Clifton one is a lovely thing...kind of makes you at least think you can do a better burr with it! :wink:

I think most of us would be hard pressed to make a decent facsimile of one of the curvy ones from a saw though:

ToolsARNO-Scrapers.gif

...and as I said before...the different thicknesses of the selection above are useful in different applications...saws tend to be all a bit on the thick side for me.

Jim

jimi43":f7as2d56 said:
That being said...you could use a screwdriver shaft for a burnisher as well but the Clifton one is a lovely thing...kind of makes you at least think you can do a better burr with it! :wink:

+1 for the Clifton burnisher - a lovely tool.

Cheers :wink:

Paul

Paul Chapman":3799vcz4 said:
jimi43":3799vcz4 said:

+1 for the Clifton burnisher - a lovely tool.

Cheers :wink:

Paul
The Carbide sharpener for scrapers (not the one on the website at the moment) that Matt used to sell at WH was better than any steel burnisher. Unfortunately, they're not sold there any more...but I have one :mrgreen: - Rob

If I ever had to deal with broken windows or float glass of any description, I always looked through it quickly and took out any cleanly broken,gently curved pieces - they don't last long as scrapers, but they're extremely sharp for small jobs.

i've tried cutting up old saws , and whilst they work, the best results i have had is using old wrappers from e bay or retired cabinet makers.

hi

not sure what you mean by wrappers,

on another note felder disposable planer blades make fantastic scrapers, as long as they haven't got too many large nicks.

adidat

Old saws work well for scrapers but as was said already they are a bit on the thick side. The thinner the better I find.

woodbloke":1fh2211t said:
The Carbide sharpener for scrapers (not the one on the website at the moment) that Matt used to sell at WH was better than any steel burnisher. Unfortunately, they're not sold there any more...but I have one :mrgreen: - Rob

You mean this one Rob?

Still available :D

matthewwh":2utxptni said:
woodbloke":2utxptni said:

You mean this one Rob?

Still available :D
Unless I'm missing somat Matt (which wouldn't be the first time :roll: ) the one on the site at present is the sharpener (with the hexagonal grinding thingie on the cylindrical bit)...one of which I also have as opposed to the cabinet scraper sharpener which has a smooth cylinder :? Confusion here Matt, so some clarification needed. I had a look on the site this morning and could only see one of the carbide tools, whereas at one time there used to be two side by side - Rob

Well then, thank you folks for all the information :idea:

I didnt know that a burnisher should have a polished finish for best results, the old saws I have laying round at the moment are quite pitted so I dont think they would make good scrapers. Having said that one is an old disston that isnt that bad IIRC but has a double kink in it which I dont think will straighten well - possible scraper fodder :twisted: , and maybe even scratch stock fodder as well as this is something else I'm also interested in.

I'll have a look at the Arno ones and maybe get a birthday request in :-"

matthewwh":3lv3oau9 said:
Ahaa!

The sharpener is in woodworking / tools / sharpening / carbide sharpening along with the pocket sized carbee sharp.
The burnisher is here in woodworking / tools / planes / cabinet scrapers with all the other scraping goodies

Maybe if we duplicate the listing for the burnisher in the sharpening section too it would be clearer?
With you now Matt. At one time, if memory serves, both the sharpener and burnisher were listed side by side...a duplicate listing as you suggest might make it clearer - Rob

Back