Cabinet scrapers

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
adidat":z0i9jvut said:
im talking about a hand saw, angle grinder or a hack saw

I'm surprised that a hacksaw would do it, I thought cutting a saw blade with another saw would just strip the teeth. I never thought of using an angle grinder though (not that I have one). Thanks for the tips

Hi, Dave

A 32tpi hacksaw blade will cut saw plated very well, they are harder than steel used in saws.

Pete

Teckel":2rgzmwim said:
Old saws work well for scrapers but as was said already they are a bit on the thick side. The thinner the better I find.

That depends on the saw - age, quality and size thereof. Further, different thickness scrapers are good for different purposes.

I would recommend buying the burnisher new . Old ones are amazingly rare (i've only ever found one example). I've made a burnisher (from an old butcher's steel) and it took ages. Even the more expensive burnishers are comparitively low priced.

However, you can't just use an old screwdriver or chisels. Burnishers need to be super hard and polished.

BugBear

If you can locate someone who works with solid carbide drills or endmill cutters they are good for scraper burnisher stock.
Being rather prone to shattering the cutting edge if dropped or mis-used there are usually a few shank stubs floating around.

I know we had a waiting list, mostly of marquetry hobbyists looking for them for scraper burnishing.

It's what I use for old hard point saw blade stock and HSS turning tools.

bugbear":15yvknc2 said:
However, you can't just use an old screwdriver or chisels. Burnishers need to be super hard and polished.

A burnisher can be made using the stem from a car, or other, engine valve.

Scraper_Burnisher_sm.jpg

bugbear":1badle7o said:
Teckel":1badle7o said:
Old saws work well for scrapers but as was said already they are a bit on the thick side. The thinner the better I find.

That depends on the saw - age, quality and size thereof. Further, different thickness scrapers are good for different purposes.
BugBear

I did a good bit of restoration and would of used scrapers on a daily basis. I had shop bought ones and home made ones but always found myself going for a scraper that was thinner than the others. It was made from an old tenon saw.
They are an excellent tool.

woodbloke":2kzn2obr said:
matthewwh":2kzn2obr said:
Ahaa!

The sharpener is in woodworking / tools / sharpening / carbide sharpening along with the pocket sized carbee sharp.
The burnisher is here in woodworking / tools / planes / cabinet scrapers with all the other scraping goodies

Maybe if we duplicate the listing for the burnisher in the sharpening section too it would be clearer?
With you now Matt. At one time, if memory serves, both the sharpener and burnisher were listed side by side...a duplicate listing as you suggest might make it clearer - Rob

Done!

whiskywill":1rv2jee6 said:
bugbear":1rv2jee6 said:

A burnisher can be made using the stem from a car, or other, engine valve.

Scraper_Burnisher_sm.jpg

That looks interesting. How do you use it? Is the angle of the stem to curl the burr over?

The trick with getting a good edge on a scraper is to see that both the edge and sides are well polished on a fine sharpening stone before activating the burnisher. Get a really sharp, clean 90 degree edge, and then not much work needs to be done to turn a hook with said burnisher. (Indeed, a sharp scraper will cut straight from the stone. It cuts a bit better with the hook burnished, though.)

Cheshirechappie":1yvc2lkd said:
The trick with getting a good edge on a scraper is to see that both the edge and sides are well polished on a fine sharpening stone before activating the burnisher. Get a really sharp, clean 90 degree edge, and then not much work needs to be done to turn a hook with said burnisher. (Indeed, a sharp scraper will cut straight from the stone. It cuts a bit better with the hook burnished, though.)
Yep, that's one of the tricks. I do it by using a fine 150mm file on the edge, then I polish it by holding it against a square block on my 3M films and finally swipe each face a couple of times on the films...a light touch is then needed with the burnisher to turn over the hook - Rob

The real problem is that the scraper usually wears much faster in the centre. I've found that draw filing, then going to a finer wet and dry mounted on a 'file length' piece of wood is much quicker than taking it to stones and trying to true the entire length of the scraper. Better would be a diamond type abrasive 'stone' used in a similar manner. Saves changing the abrasive paper.

I've got one of these Crown Tools burnishers:
5110013508_9235e517d1.jpg

It's definitely very hard steel indeed, and it turns a burr better than any of my previous attempts with large screwdrivers. I'm sure the hardness makes a difference.

Oddly, I find my cabinet scraper edge lasts for quite a decent length of time. I don't know what it's made from. It's quite thick and came originally from Bristol Tools, as did the burnisher (the picture is from an earlier thread here on the subject, and isn't my own scraper).

Neither were very expensive - IIRC the cabinet scraper was a couple of quid, and the burnisher not much more.

HTH,

E.

PS: Bristol Tools definitely sell the Crown burnishers, and I think Axminster do too.

Now this is a burnisher! Really though, I think any carbide burnisher that is new will be totally serviceable, and many homemade ones as well. I just love Blue Spruce tools and figure I could spend my money on a whole lot worse things! lol

CB.250_big.jpg

Crown Burnisher £7.17

http://www.toolpost.co.uk/pages/Woodwor ... apers.html

Veritas Tri-Burnisher £35.50

http://www.classichandtools.com/acatalo ... shers.html

Clifton £19.36

http://www.axminster.co.uk/clifton-clif ... prod19524/

Kirschen 7.90

http://www.axminster.co.uk/kirschen-kir ... prod22110/

Pfeil £20

Hock £13

http://www.classichandtools.co.uk/acata ... shers.html

"Classic" burnishers (polished, hard bits of steel) seem too cheap to be worth makign your own. Carbide and/or sapphire
might be worth DIY'ing.

BugBear (and google :) )

I have the Kirschen. It marks in use on a cabinet scraper! However the back of my Henry Taylor gouge does not.

bugbear":23y3dj7g said:
MIGNAL":23y3dj7g said:
I have the Kirschen. It marks in use on a cabinet scraper! However the back of my Henry Taylor gouge does not.

Both of those are surprising!

BugBear

Not a surprise to me at all, the Kirschen is listed as HSS, I use Solid Carbide to burr HSS lathe tool scrapers, not often as I try to avoid needing such delicate finishing, but the two I have both from 'Names' in the turning world are like chalk and cheese regarding ease of turning a burr and edge retention in general, my conclusion with this and several of my other gouges is that regardless of marketing hype, quality of HSS alloy or its heat treatment can be very variable.

Back