Cabinet saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Even a heavy saw like a Wadkin AGS-10 can be moved with the right lifting mechanism. I'm something of a woodgears shill I feel, but the mobile base system he designed works excellently on my Rapid saw which is nearly 300kg. And the best thing is, it stands on it's own legs, only goes onto castors when actually being moved!

Some old pictures from when I had completed it, just construction lumber and angle iron to beef things up
14954843134_3b80bdd7ef_b.jpg

15575573685_1a7e216978_b.jpg

So a heavy saw doesn't have to be immobile, this way I get lots of saw for my little shop.

Marcjwebb":dp7emfii said:
Pcb1962, I actually have that on my watch list atm. Could you shed anymore light with regards to using it reliability and how good is the fence ?

Every 619 / 1619 I see seems to have a different fence. There are 2 on eBay now, both with different fences, and neither with a fence like mine. Mine has an additional Bristol lever at the front of the fence with a rod through to a clamp at the rear. This extra clamping makes the fence rock solid, but adds a little annoyance every time you try to move the fence without undoing it. Mike has said far more than I can about the reliability and the shortcomings of the saw. Mine has only light hobby use but I see no reason for it not to be very reliable. Before I bought the Kity I had a good look at the AW10BSB2. IMO the Kity is a much better quality machine and given the choice I would buy the same again.

Marcjwebb":3qfk6iul said:
To be fair I a long as it's got a good solid top decent fence that's accurate and safe that's the three main points for me ticked.

I keep seeing some names like wadkin? Anyone know of them ?

Everybody know Wadkin. A very big company making very high quality machines back in the days. They later merged with a company called Bursgreen which was a maker of smaller "lightweight" machines which is not what the word "lightweight" implies today but some pretty solid stuff. Towards the end Wadkin-Bursgreen made a few inferrior models but they weren't too many so with 95% probability a Wadkin or Wadkin-Bursgreen will be a good machine if it hasn't been abused by previous owners.
Robinson and Sagar are also well known names on high end British machines from that era. There were many more British makers that did'nt export to Finland and hence are unknown to me.

Latest posts

Back