Cabinet Maker'sRasps

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikegtr

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Your advice on cabinet maker's rasps. I'm possibly looking for quality flat single sided / double sided / round / half round. May buy single rasps or maybe a set. One's that will last. Not to cheap or to expensive. What make do you use?

Many thanks

Hi,

I am sure someone will come along with better advice than the following but I will get you started. Disclaimer; I don’t really do too much furniture making as I find it really difficult to make money out of it compared to general joinery, built-in cabinetry and heritage and general carpentry which is my bread and butter. But once every couple of years or so I get asked to make something with cabriole legs and this is the only time I ever really get rasps out. The guys that taught me my trade way back when all used to own Nicholson #49 rasps for doing cabrioles. I heard this company got sold and the quality of their gear went down but maybe don’t take my word on this.

The rasps that I use are made by Auriou. The teeth are set a little at random and they don’t leave heavy gouge lines like cheaper rasps. They are nice to use and really minimise gouging/tearout etc. They aren’t cheap though (handmade) but they are an investment as I have had my two for over 10 years and they are as good as new. I actually bought them from the forge itself which I visited once while on a campervan holiday; it’s near Toulouse. I have a 10” 7 grain and also a 9 grain. I bought them without handles which was cheaper.

Hopefully a chairmaker or someone else will come along to give you better advice than me. I have really only ever used the same type of rasp to do the same job somewhat infrequently so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Also, be careful if you are a leftie because these rasps are handed.

https://forge-de-saint-juery.com/cabinet-makers-rasps/

Last edited:
While Logier and Auriou make the finest hand stitched rasps in the world, for those of us either too poor or who do not use them every other day, I would suggest the following company - Tome Feteira. That make excellent quality affordable rasps and have been for nearly 170 years, that the rest of us can enjoy. I believe you can still buy direct from them, I use these and have done for over 20 years.

I have a nasty Auriou habit, but then I don't spend much money on machines or buy expensive processed timber, so I can easily justify a bit of luxury with hand tools.

Nice rasps and rifflers, but they need a bit of looking after if you want them to last. So stuffing them in a drawer full of rammel and assorted shiz is out of the question.

I get the hand stitched rasps, they are a joy (mine are Liogier) but Narex rasps might be worth a look for more affordable ones, no complaints about mine. Wide range available in both styles, sizes and different number of stitches that cover everything.

Anyone else use old UK hand-stitched cabinetmakers rasps? Got to be careful not to buy a beater, but some have been well looked after/little used (run a finger over to test for 'bite') - I have some (different Sheffield makers) and they give a very good finish, although if much wood to be removed I often start with something more aggressive - price - under £2 each from flea mkt if you're patient.
I guess they stopped making them 1960s? and were quite expensive then.

Last edited:
you will have to pay top money for a quality rasp that lasts a long time, I like Auriou as well

Back