Cabinet hinge repair.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRITON

Established Member
UKW Supporter
Reaction score
Cabinet hings aka the kitchen type.

My sister has just dropped off one of her kitchen doors where the hinge screw mounts have been ripped out. I'm no doubt being looked towards to perform miracles

So whats the options.
I was thinking of filling the holes with a 2 pack filler, then re drilling them. The 35mm recess is a bit damaged to, so was going to repair that using the same filler.
Then I wondered if i should drill the holes to 3mm and glue in 3mm dowels so im screwing into wood rather than the 2 pack filler.

Naturally of course she's prepared the ground work for me by attempting to fill the holes herself* using standard filler which just crumbles, so I'll have to clean all that up before making a start.

* Pigs ear.

Thoughts ?, ideas ?, solutions ?. Lets hear them.
I can get a close up pic up later. but its standard type issue im sure most here have come across.

I'd use thickened epoxy or chemical metal.

Putting screws in end grain dowels isn't a good idea tbh.

Depending on how badly the original screw holes have been damaged, you can get nylon/plastic inserts that can be inserted into the hinge screw holes.
They are available in 2 sizes that I'm aware of....8mm or 10mm. You just drill out the original damaged screw holes to the appropriate size and hammer in the inserts......They act in a similar way to a screw in a rawlplug.
The larger surface area of the inserts is hidden when the hinge is screwed back in place. 👍

I've got plenty of spares with the matching screws, so if you want to message me, I can send you a few in the post for the cost of the postage if it would help you out...?

I'd use thickened epoxy or chemical metal.

Putting screws in end grain dowels isn't a good idea tbh.
Indeed. I've some 5 minute epoxy, but i might think about getting a west system 101 kit. Its got fillers/microofibers etc and is only £23. Not sure what id do with the rest, this stuff doesnt keep i believe.
But good call on the epoxy, it will soak into the surrounding chipboard and give a better fix :cool:
Never used them and not the prettiest but there are different sized plates available for this very problem, 2 examples below
That looks good to, and a lot cheaper than the west epoxy route.
A 2nd consideration, plus available on ebay, so plus point there.

@Distinterior

Thanks for the offer, but i think I'll go with one of the above ideas.

Never used them and not the prettiest but there are different sized plates available for this very problem, 2 examples below

https://www.howdens.com/hardware/sc...binet-hinge-repair-kit-obj-sku-family-rkc0145
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk...yMZbrGDmfgS8P-CAJQjfTAbbSkKH6Oh0aApSTEALw_wcB
I've opted for these. Cost £6, and hopefully it will work.
Hard to find a UK seller though, as all seem to be from companies based in china.
It annoys me somewhat that despite filtering to uk only, ebay are quite happy that the seller isnt uk and is in fact from a country on the other side of the planet.

My only reasons for looking for a UK based is time it takes to arrive.

Indeed. I've some 5 minute epoxy, but i might think about getting a west system 101 kit. Its got fillers/microofibers etc and is only £23. Not sure what id do with the rest, this stuff doesnt keep i believe.
But good call on the epoxy, it will soak into the surrounding chipboard and give a better fix :cool:

That looks good to, and a lot cheaper than the west epoxy route.
A 2nd consideration, plus available on ebay, so plus point there.

@Distinterior

Thanks for the offer, but i think I'll go with one of the above ideas.
I have kept west epoxy for years, it has always set up. If it goes a bit rhick or crystalline just warm it up.

Back