Cabinet door sizing

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PeteHB

Established Member
Reaction score
I have to build a run of 3 cabinets each with 2 doors and book shelving above. The cabinets are 1000mm wide by 85mm high with two doors simple shaker style, single panel so what would be good aesthetically pleasing dimensions for the stiles and rails?

Bottom rails = ~65 - 70 mm.
Top rails and stiles = ~50 - 55 mm.

Just suggestions. I'm assuming there isn't going to be a middle rail, although there could be if you wanted one. There are all sorts of possibilities but, visually, the bottom rails of doors, particularly doors that go to the floor, or near to the floor look better balanced with the bottom rail wider than the top rail and the stiles. You can even use a formula where the bottom rail is wider than the stiles, which are themselves wider than the top rail. In truth, I prefer the bottom rail of all cabinet type doors wider than the stiles and top rails, even if the bottom rail is at eye level and above. Slainte.

PS. I presume you meant the cabinet height is 850 mm, not 85 mm?

Nope designed to fit the number of books rather than anything else. Plus a small plinth and a 30mm top will bring it up to 900mm.

Just seen my mistake 850mm:ROFLMAO:

Back