CA glue - Pen turning

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tom-
I ruined my first acrylic blank. Drilled through, bit snatched on break through and split the end off the blank.
Managed to salvage it for a keyring.

When I drill mine now, I use a cross vice mounted on the bed, or the last few, blank held in a chuck, the screw pitch of the cross vice or the lathe tailstock limits the drill bit feed speed, with a little care regarding knowing when the bit is approaching breakthrough, slow the feed slightly more and the bit will come through nice and clean.

well I went to Axminster yesterday and bought one of the colt drills £12.00 or so, a bit steep but OMG it's great no break out and so so easy it drill through acrylic under 6 seconds and I wasn't pushing it (hot hot knife through butter) I need a 8mm now, sadly they had run out off them.

there is the link for the drills
http://www.axminster.co.uk/colt-hss-m2- ... rod783313/

Halfords today and bought some white primer to paint the brass tubes, now painted and waiting to be glued to the acrylic

I did cut my acrylic longer this time and then trimmed it on the chop saw and sanded it on my bench sander I'm hopeful I will be aloud to find time tomorrow to turn my pen.

TOM

Another thing worth mentioning Tom, when painting the tubes, allow plenty of drying time for the paint, or it can rub off as it goes in the hole....
I assume thats what caused that fail anyway, so left it to dry overninght every time since.

Hitch thank you for the heads up on the paint

Have you see the price of the 8mm colt drill bit £27.00 at Axminster bloody hell

TOM

Back