Buying Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Renoj

Established Member
Reaction score
Rather than hijacking the recent post about oak I thought best to start a new post.

I quite often see walnut chopping boards or bowls being sold at prices that I couldn’t even remotely consider with the price I get from my local mill. I think of American black walnut as being way more expensive than oak but products I see are often sold at a similar if not cheaper price than oak of the same product.
Last time I checked the local mill sold ABW for £4700 Ex vat per m3 which is crazy expensive.

Is there a secret source of cheap ABW I don’t know about?

Yes, don't buy walnut to make chopping boards from. Use the offcuts from a paying client project and the timber is free.

Marcos has it, you sell the waste you just charged one client for to another one. You know that bit you cut out of a worktop for a sink? There’s 2 oak boards

Aidan

Admittedly I'm in Cyprus, but I can buy walnut planks of 3 metre x 180 mm x 25 mm for around 40 euro. Although I have been told the price has gone up recently due to shortages.

But no, you will never be competitive on price if you buy just to make chopping boards.

Thanks for the replies, good to know I’m not missing something in regards to the price. Would have been making them at a loss if I was to compete with some of the prices I’ve seen. Will stick to oak and maple.

Latest posts

Back