buying veneered panels

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stix

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm looking at buying some ash veneered boards for making parts of my computer desk. The door and each carcass will be made from an ash timber frame around the veneered panel. Having never bought any veneered boards I have a few questions:

Am I better off buying plywood or MDF boards? (Is it mainly down to cost is would one be better than the other for this application?)

Do the veneered boards generally look the same as the timber when finished?

Do you have any suppliers you can recommend either in the Birmingham area or online?

Cheers
Steve

Veneered ply might be difficult to find. The MDF varieties are much more common and work well in frame and panel constructions. As for matching with the hardwood you have it might be a bit hit and miss although I would have thought that ash would be ok.

As George said it's a bit hit and miss, but my experience is that the boards are usually a lighter colour than the wood when finished.
Ply is available but MDF is far more common and works as well.
Don't forget to buy edging strip unless you are edging in real wood.
Silverman in Coventry will be able to help.

Dom

If you are using the boards for door panels then go with MDF as the ply usually only has the show veneer on one side.

Jason

I have used beech veneered mdf in a project similar to yours.
The colour difference is quite marked as it probably will be with ash
when you apply the finish. I used Danish oil.
Make sure you cover any edges with wood and not edging strip!
John

Latest posts

Back