Buying useful old planes on EBay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Mike,

A couple of points I wouldn't have even guessed. I can't see me at present using a plane day in day out to the extent that it would really cause an adverse effect on me (unlike this bloody computer I'm enslaved to 8 hours a day!), and retirement isn't even on the long range radar. I'd been aware of the mould lines on the handles when using it, but I can fettle those away easily.

cheers

Ike

Ike, as Esp says you can fettle a Stanley. DC did a good article on it in F&C not long back. Anyone got the issue number handy? Or do I have to brave the Magazine Pile of Doom? :shock: Although having said which, I have had a cap iron that was so abused as to beyond sensible fettling. :( Nothing like having a benchmark, ready-to-go cap iron in your arsenal though - so at least you know what standard you're aiming for.

Of course all my defence of my passing idea of a "Souped-Up Plane Kit" is so much phooey anyway. I've bought one? two? Clifton irons, and one cap iron. No Hocks, Samurai, Holteys or L-N after-market blades have ever found their way to me. A Hock's on order for my #5 1/2, but that's only 'cos it's an early 2 1/2" size virtually no-one else does. Shocking, ain't it? But I still think having a kit of parts like that would be sort of fun, and a solution to many a woodworker's family's "what on earth shall we get him/her for Christmas?". Better than socks anyway. :wink:

Midnight":13t47xh6 said:
Additionally, there's a slightly more subtle difference, namely the dampening effects wood has on the vibrations generated while planing.
Mike, ah, hadn't even noticed that. My experience of plastic handles is limited (from choice)!

Cheers, Alf

Edit: Longer ago than I thought - January this year, #84. I defy anyone to read that article and not get the urge to rush into the workshop to fettle their cap irons. Any mildly neanderish person, of course. Neil doesn't count. :wink:

Alf":1psthqc3 said:
Or do I have to brave the Magazine Pile of Doom? :shock:

I used to have one of those, but I knocked up a shelf, and put them in issue number order. What an improvement!

Adam

Adam,

I have fifteen (15! Count 'em) magazine boxes full to overflowing. The Pile Of Doom consists of the ones I can't squeeze in. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":2t4immrv said:
Adam,

I have fifteen (15! Count 'em) magazine boxes full to overflowing. The Pile Of Doom consists of the ones I can't squeeze in. :shock:

Cheers, Alf

Build a big bookshelf - you can A) Get to read about how other poeple made their bookshelves before you start B) Get to use your collection of planes C) Get to store said magazines afterwards.

A perfect project surely?

Adam

In theory, yes. In practice there's nowhere to put the bookshelf. :roll: And the existing bookshelves are full of books. The reading matter situation is much worse than the tool one; possibly why I can't see the c*ll*ct*r thing applying to me about the latter. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1mbhgxme said:
In theory, yes. In practice there's nowhere to put the bookshelf. :roll: And the existing bookshelves are full of books. The reading matter situation is much worse than the tool one; possibly why I can't see the c*ll*ct*r thing applying to me about the latter. :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Time for a clearout?

Alf wrote:
Au contraire. A good cap iron can make the world of difference. I might even go so far as to say a decent cap iron will improve a poor blade, but no matter how good the blade, a poor cap iron can make the plane unusable. (I await the brickbats for saying that with resignation )

All right you asked for it! Hmmm... nope, I'm afraid I agree :lol: .

Back