Buying UK machinery for Euro delivery, Not Axi

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dedee

Established Member
Reaction score
Anyone in euroland bought machinery from the UK for european delivery from somewhere other than Axminster? No issues with Axminster or course but they don't do the Dewalt DW733 thicknesser.

www.powertoolworld.co.uk will deliver the dewalt all in for £397. The best I can buy locally is the Metabo DH330 at £350. The Dewalt over here comes it at around £550.00

Andy

dedee":taonzz4i said:
Anyone in euroland bought machinery from the UK for european delivery from somewhere other than Axminster? No issues with Axminster or course but they don't do the Dewalt DW733 thicknesser.

http://www.powertoolworld.co.uk will deliver the dewalt all in for £397. The best I can buy locally is the Metabo DH330 at £350. The Dewalt over here comes it at around £550.00

Andy

Get on a ferry back to Blighty ? :D

Hi Andy, whereabouts in Fr are you? there is a good possibility I will make a trip (in a van) to the Languedoc sometime in the next couple of months. If its any help PM me. chris

Roger/Chris

The problem when buying stuff when we are over, or having someone bring things out for us, is sorting out any issues if things go wrong with the product back in France. Although I make at least 1 trip a year there is only so much I can squeeze in the car anyway.
Axminster, as you would expect, provide an excellent service, bit they cannot supply everything.
I would much prefer to order from a supplier confident that any product issues or guarantee claims can be sorted out easily without a return trip to the UK.

Chris, thanks for you offer I am in Calvados just outside Caen, a bit out of your way I suspect.

Cheers

Andy

If you buy in the UK as its cheaper then the BTB will apply ( Back to base )

If you buy in France you only have to return it local

Cant see a way you can have the best of both worlds :wink:

If I buy and the UK and the supplier ships over here and subsequently the tool fails than I would expect the supplier to arrange collection and return (all be it at, perhaps initially, my expense ).

If I buy in the UK and bring it over myself then I will have to both arrange and pay for return to the UK myself.

The cost of return postage if I make the arrangements are far greater than the supplier could arrange.

I know a number of the members buy a lot of woodworking stuff from the UK but most of the machinery, I believe, comes from Axminster.

Cheers

Andy

John, No I did not. It seems to be readily available and is still listed on the Dewalt web sites (UK and FR). Are they all just selling old stock? There does not seem to be any alternative on their website either. Do you buy your larger tools locally in France, delivered from the UK or bring them over yourself?

Cheers

Andy

This was the site that told me it was disconned Andy http://www.dewalt.com/tools-discontinue ... dw733.aspx ??

I have bought bigger kit over here but normally if I have got it from the U.K. I have had it bought over by expat friends driving back. We try not to go back unless, 1 funreal and my sons wedding in 7 years. Ca suffit pour nous! Just the drive over for sons wedding cost over 1000€ without the fortnight there :shock: A lot cheaper for you up there though :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I had most of what I needed when we moved over and you should have seen the removal blokes faces when they asked what's in these 1 meter cube boxes and I told them wood. Full of turning blanks! Well, I had put rope handles to make it easier for them :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

That looks like the US website John. Interestingly they show a DW 734 and DW735 which have 3 knives, they would be interesting. The 3 knife versions do not seem to be on any of the european websites so I guess the discontinued thing is Stateside only?

I may well ask Dewalt UK to see if a 3 knife version is to be made available.

Can't really wait though as I expect to be picking up a load of chestnut next week and would rather not plane by hand.

Cheers

Andy

soulboy":2xricxqf said:
Hi Andy, whereabouts in Fr are you? there is a good possibility I will make a trip (in a van) to the Languedoc sometime in the next couple of months. If its any help PM me. chris
Hi Chris, If you need a break on the way down to languedoc I'm 10 mins. off the A20 at sortie 23.1. Feel free to pm me if want to stop off for something to eat and drink and maybe a bit of wood talk.

Froggie, as there seem to be so many of us in France perhaps it would be good if we could put where we are roughly, as I have done, below our avitar? Then if we can do each other favors it may be easier?

Edit and off thread for a mo : - Andy, have you had a look at the musium at Pegasus Bridge? We had a look, all be it brief about 2 weeks after it opned 8 or so years back and it is well worth a look. If the floating restaurant is still on the NW bank of the canal about 200 yds West of the bridge, I have no idea what it's like now but we had several lovely diners on board!

dedee":e3oiws8k said:
That looks like the US website John. Interestingly they show a DW 734 and DW735 which have 3 knives, they would be interesting. The 3 knife versions do not seem to be on any of the european websites so I guess the discontinued thing is Stateside only?

I may well ask Dewalt UK to see if a 3 knife version is to be made available.

Can't really wait though as I expect to be picking up a load of chestnut next week and would rather not plane by hand.

Cheers

Andy

Andy, the 735 (3 blade, 2 speed with extraction fan) was the replacement for the older 733 on the North American market 5 (at least) years ago. It was introduced on the Australian market (so not a 110v versus a 230V issue) a year or two later. Thought it would reach Europe/UK shortly after that but no sign of it yet. Maybe sales are low here and too much stock of the 733 or the 735 has a CE standards issue.

Warranty wise no retailer/distributor/agent would, I suspect, even think about getting involved in shipping back to the UK etc when something goes wrong. Europe and France in particular is a different sales territory. Of course any warranty would be honoured by DeWalt UK in the UK. But perhap worth investigating, you never know.

Thanks Froggie, will def bear that in mind, not sure if I will have a 'drivers mate'. regards chris

Jonzjob":35rmd3v1 said:
Andy, have you had a look at the musium at Pegasus Bridge? We had a look, all be it brief about 2 weeks after it opned 8 or so years back and it is well worth a look. If the floating restaurant is still on the NW bank of the canal about 200 yds West of the bridge, I have no idea what it's like now but we had several lovely diners on board!

Have not been since we moved here John, last time we went was before the new bridge was built, it's only 5 mins up the road so I really ought to make the effort.
We meet a lot of the WW2 vets during the village celebrations each year around the 6th June. The more I learn about what went on around here the more amazed I become.

It seems that Lawson HIS offer a european delivery and from references elsewhere the customer service is good too.

Chers

Andy

Hi John,

I'm about 4-4 1/2 hours north of you in Chateauponsac 87290. I'll do what you suggest and change my profile. I set up a 'club' recently (which is dying a death at the moment!) of expat woodworker with the idea of talking to each other and helping each other out where possible. I think the mistake I made was calling it a club when really all I wanted was for all of us to have each others details and to keep loosely in touch, to share info and help each other out. There are 13 'members' at the moment, of which 4 or 5 are UKW members. One of the ideas I had was to all chip in and hire a van occassionally for the odd trip back to blighty for tools - may be worth a disscussion on a seperate thread.

Hi Chris, Drivers mate is no problem. The more the merrier.

Back