buying timber for bread boards

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score
usual thing, start talking to someone about their craft (illustrating bread boards) and end up being asked if I want to get involved supplying the 'blanks'..........

20/22mm laminated beech or oak sheet material would seem appropriate

I had thought kitchen worktop blanks = but these seem to be 27/40mm which are too thick (and therefore expensive)

Any thoughts appreciated, potential sources even more so, and if in the S East..... =D>

Thanks in advance.

if anyone has any alternative suggestions as to appropriate wood they would also be appreciated - or is this another example of where the raw material can't be purchased for the price of the finished product because of scale/volume issues?

Almost any hardwood will do. Beech and sycamore are favoured. Laminated board won't do at all if they are actually going to be used as bread boards. It'll cut up and come off in bits.

I've used Beech & Black Walnut together, looks good when made as a butchers block style. and an alternating pattern.

Jacob":31y9k8h2 said:
Almost any hardwood will do. Beech and sycamore are favoured. Laminated board won't do at all if they are actually going to be used as bread boards. It'll cut up and come off in bits.

Clearly (with a little thought) used the wrong term in laminated!

meant this in the context of bonded strips ie 15-25mm wide as most of the finished beech bread boards I have, and have seen, and worktops seem to be constructed.

Concerned that 20mm timber in, say, 200mm width, has a high risk of warping over time?

There is some scope on price because it will be about variable quantities in varied sizes over time - and she can't get what she wants currently.

Thanks all for the suggestions so far.

Fishandchips":1z3zpm4o said:
What glue would you use for an end grain cutting board?

Does it matter? I have titebond

I use a D4 pva, waterproof glue. Not titebond, too expensive and imho not as good.

Back