Buying the ST-635 DUAL DRUM SANDER or Jet 22-44 OSC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Peter Sefton

Wood Workers Workshop
UKW Supporter
UKW Sponsor
Reaction score
Threshing Barn, Upton-upon-Severn, Worcs WR8 0SN
Get the ST-635.

I bought the Jet 22-44 OSC and thought it was great until I got fed up of changing abrasive grits to achieve the level of finish I wanted. Luckily, Axminster allowed me to return it and change it for the ST-635 (despite having used it for a couple of weeks) which I found to be considerably better because:

1) It's dual drums mean a finer finish can be achieved in one pass without having to change abrasive because each roller can be a different grit.
2) The rollers are supported at both ends instead of being cantilevered like they are on the Jet. This does mean it can't do anything wider than 600mm but that suited me.
3) The conveyor belt is much more substantial and the platen feels much more solid. With the Jet I got the feeling the table extensions would be essential if I wanted to work with longer lengths of timber but that isn't the case with the ST-635.
4) Three year warranty against the one for Jet.
5) It's bigger and heavier than the Jet (still ok to sit on a 2'x4' castor base made up of two layers of decent plywood).

katellwood":3m2k66gt said:
I've got the jet 22-44 non oscillating and for what I use it for more than happy with it

However, did you also see this

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-in ... der-508303

Thanks for the link, looks very good value at the moment. I will have to check and see how much a phase convertor would cost.

Cheers Peter

no idea":2vjvdvaf said:
Get the ST-635.

I bought the Jet 22-44 OSC and thought it was great until I got fed up of changing abrasive grits to achieve the level of finish I wanted. Luckily, Axminster allowed me to return it and change it for the ST-635 (despite having used it for a couple of weeks) which I found to be considerably better because:

1) It's dual drums mean a finer finish can be achieved in one pass without having to change abrasive because each roller can be a different grit.
2) The rollers are supported at both ends instead of being cantilevered like they are on the Jet. This does mean it can't do anything wider than 600mm but that suited me.
3) The conveyor belt is much more substantial and the platen feels much more solid. With the Jet I got the feeling the table extensions would be essential if I wanted to work with longer lengths of timber but that isn't the case with the ST-635.
5) It's bigger and heavier than the Jet (still ok to sit on a 2'x4' castor base made up of two layers of decent plywood).

That's some very good feedback, and really helps, how long have you had the 635?

I see a few good reviews on the 22-44 but nothing on the 635 so this is great.

Are you using cloth back abrasives or have you tried Abranet?

Cheers Peter

I considered abranet on my 22 - 44 but Axi in Sittingbourne suggested that it has a tendency to stretch and overlap therefore not suitable

You will need cloth backed abrasive or it tears

Peter Sefton":35nyq1as said:
no idea":35nyq1as said:
Get the ST-635.

That's some very good feedback, and really helps, how long have you had the 635?

I see a few good reviews on the 22-44 but nothing on the 635 so this is great.

Are you using cloth back abrasives or have you tried Abranet?

Cheers Peter
Interesting but it is over twice the price of the Jet http://www.axminster.co.uk/jet-16-32-pl ... der-110257. So you could buy two Jets and have coarse on one and fine on the other and still have a large amount of "change". How long does it take to change the grit? I can never decide if the open end is the advantage it is said to be. If the Jet is accurate across the length then it should be a no brainer. I was looking at the Jet last week in the store, you would definitely need the extension tables.

I have sanded wide table tops on my 22 - 44 and once the parallelness has been set the join down the middle is hardly noticable. However, its not accurate enough to be the finished article, some further work is needed but thats only for boards wider than the sander

Changing paper can be fiddly, you fasten to the outer edge of the drum using a clip, wrap the abrasive round then using a special tool provided the inner clip is designed to both secure and tension the paper this can be a PITA. On mine the 76mm abrasive is over 10 ft long so if reusing will also need rolling up carefully

katellwood":rbvoqqtl said:
I considered abranet on my 22 - 44 but Axi in Sittingbourne suggested that it has a tendency to stretch and overlap therefore not suitable

You will need cloth backed abrasive or it tears

I spoke with Craig the manager of the Axi store in Devon this morning he reckons the Abranet Max works very well on the drum sanders, I haven't tried it myself but this customer review also looks good, the Abranet shouldn't over heat which seems an issue with some finer abrasives.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/abranet-max- ... 80g-101624

Thanks for your input, cheers Peter

Thanks for the link PAC the smaller Jet is a very good price, ideal if it were just me using it but I feel I need a heavier machine for the school workshop.

I spoke to another maker yesterday who gave a very positive review on the 22-44 but he is now getting ready to upgrade to a felder, lucky man!

Cheers Peter

I use cloth backed for 60 grit and Abranet for 80 grit upwards, basically this is what Axminster sell in 75mm widths. I've not had any issues with stretching because the clamp self tensions sufficiently to take care of this. I have also successfully used paper backed Mirka Avomax - it's a pain to have to cut it down to 75mm from 115mm but it is cheaper and ideal for high resin timber like pine and spruce because I can bin it when it gets too gummed up to be effective. The main thing is to make sure both rollers are loaded equally and that only light passes are made, especially at the finer grits.

There are a couple of videos on YouTube for the Supermax 25-2 ES which is essentially the same machine https://youtu.be/gh3n8UyQSVU and https://youtu.be/IruHHTfWAh8 as well as a new one of the actual Axminster unit https://youtu.be/aHLzf-_fgW8

I would strongly advise going for a wide belt sander, I know budget is an issue but ease of use, belt replacement, belt wear, speed of sanding, all chalk and cheese compared to a drum sander.

Peter Sefton":3ajqkoxo said:
Thanks no idea I just watched the first two American videos which have a good insight into the machine, I noticed the third one last night which has only just been released. I had a quick chat with Andrew Lawton this morning and he is very happy with his 635.

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter.
Did you go for the st-635 in the end? If so, how are you getting on with it?

Cheers

shuggy":1nqzl910 said:
Peter Sefton":1nqzl910 said:
Thanks no idea I just watched the first two American videos which have a good insight into the machine, I noticed the third one last night which has only just been released. I had a quick chat with Andrew Lawton this morning and he is very happy with his 635.

Cheers Peter

Hi Peter.
Did you go for the st-635 in the end? If so, how are you getting on with it?

Cheers

Hi shuggy, yep I bought it back in the Autumn.
It arrived on a big pallet in a couple of boxes and needed some assembly, very heavy but quite straight forward to setup. The original paper backed abrasive burnt quite quickly but we may have been overloading the back drum. Swapped over to the Abranet Max which has been much better. I have had an issue with one of the spring clips not gripping the abrasive well enough but Axi sent me a replacement no problem.

So far very happy for the money, we are not a production workshop but even so it's saving us time and we are finding we use it a fair bit.

Cheers Peter

Thanks for the info Peter. Sounds good. Do you have to change the abrasive quite often in the school and if so, it is pretty straight forward? Presumably you can leave a finer grit on the back drum and just swap out the front drum paper as required?
Just researching these machines myself so this info is really helpful.
Much appreciated.

Not changed it many times 2 or 3, we have been using 80 with 120 on the back drum with both cutting. I do have finer Abranet Max but we haven't used them yet, we have been using it mainly when the planer is chipping interlocked timbers. I guess it takes 5 minutes to cut the abrasives to length and 5 to fit it.

Cheers Peter

Peter Sefton":17r5q9se said:
Not changed it many times 2 or 3, we have been using 80 with 120 on the back drum with both cutting. I do have finer Abranet Max but we haven't used them yet, we have been using it mainly when the planer is chipping interlocked timbers. I guess it takes 5 minutes to cut the abrasives to length and 5 to fit it.

Cheers Peter

Great stuff thanks.
Yes they're great for that. I'm working with curly maple just now and it's very chippy on the planer / thicknesser. The sander brought it under control very quickly :D

Thanks.

Back