Buying the ST-635 DUAL DRUM SANDER or Jet 22-44 OSC

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi Shuggy
I am in Glenrothes and have a Kufo twin drum sander. Been using it it for 5 years and it is brilliant on all sorts of timbers. Normally use 100 on the front and 120 on the back. The thinnest I have had timber down is 2mm beech which I use with my laser to make business cards. I got mine 2nd hand on ebay about 6 years ago and have put is on a wheeld base so I can move it out of the way. You need a very good extraction system with something like this and I have the biggest Camvac and run all three motors at the same time. If you want to see it in action drop me a pm and you will be most welcome.

Mike

Sorry to hijack the thread, but what laser do you have, I am just investigating about small desktop units, but don't know enough to make an informed decision, perhaps we ought to start another thread?

Mike

I have 2 mike. A Trotec rayjet and a Synrad Fenix which is a galvanometer based laser. The Trotec is 40w and the Fenix is 18 years old and still as good as new and kicking out 25watts.

Mike

Oh dear, bit out of my price range I'm afraid, I am only looking at the hobby one's on e-bay at under £100.00, don't suppose you know anything about the cheaper end of the market?

Mike

More likely to set fire to your workshop or blind you. MY trotec is £13000 new and my Fenix would cost about £30000 to replace although decent second hand ones are about 12k from Germany. The hobby ones are absolute rubbish and wouldn't meet any CE safety standards anywhere. If you have employees don't even go there. I do offer a laser engraving sub contracting service and there are photos of some engraving on the forum I did for a member here last year on a wine bottle carrier he was making for a wedding present. Forgot off the top of my head who the member was now so hopefully some one else remembers and posts a link

Mike

Although my drum sander was made in Taiwan it is very accurate and out of all my woodworking machinery it is probably one of the best used machines in the workshop. Whilst I am not saying that any member here cannot make an accurate machine, with the amount of use it gets, it has to be substantial to stand the pace. I got mine second hand on ebay and they do appear from time to time. I was lucky that the seller strapped it to a pallet and shipped it, that saved me a 600 odd miles round trip, and a nearby factory are very helpful with their forklift truck.

acewoodturner":2c9w4vea said:
Hi Shuggy
I am in Glenrothes and have a Kufo twin drum sander. Been using it it for 5 years and it is brilliant on all sorts of timbers. Normally use 100 on the front and 120 on the back. The thinnest I have had timber down is 2mm beech which I use with my laser to make business cards. I got mine 2nd hand on ebay about 6 years ago and have put is on a wheeld base so I can move it out of the way. You need a very good extraction system with something like this and I have the biggest Camvac and run all three motors at the same time. If you want to see it in action drop me a pm and you will be most welcome.

Mike

Many thanks Acewoodturner! I'd love to pop round at some point.
I'm studying at Waters and Acland just now though in Cumbria which involves a lot of weekly travel from Linlithgow, and when I return I'm given 3 young kids to look after so I don't have a lot of free time at the weekends. However if I see a possible opportunity I'll let you know and see if something can be organised.

I'll have a look at the Kufo as a comparison, thanks.
Hugh

No rush Hugh, I know what its like as I have 3 of my own, but at least the youngest is 15 now. She was born near the end of my final year doing an HND in furniture design and construction and I did all the night feeds!

Back