buying spindle moulder

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gloswood

Established Member
Reaction score
hi there new to ukworkshop today so this is my first post, i am looking to buy a spindle moulder to replace my infuriating woodrat, i think i have found what i'm looking for in a itech01456 offered by scott & sargent, has anyone any experiance of this machine any thing would be appricated . thanks

Looks a nice piece of kit, but do you need something so heavy? What do you plan to use it for?

About 10 years ago I was in the position where I needed something with the capacity to take heavier cuts than my router table mounted Elu 177E. I decided on a small spindle, wondering iif I was doing the correct thing, and bought new at an auction house an Elektra 100. This has also been sold as a Metabo. Some kind folk have described it as a bit of a toy, but I find it perfect with my rebate block taking out 3/4" rebates, grooving using a 150mm Omas wobble saw, and running out mouldings with the 40mm euro cutters.
It has two drawbacks, firstly its low weight I have solved by placing a builders bag inside the cabinet and filling full of shhingle/stones. On its wide plywood base with castors I can move it around with ease and it stays put where I want it to. Secondly I do not know how it would cope with an auxilliary sliding table.
For the £400 they typically sell for on fleebay this might be a way of finding out if a spindle is what you need, and save a few of your well earned pounds for tools.

Colin

Thanks for the info colin, i seem to be more moulding work and raised panel doors lately on my woodrat than i have ever done whilst its ok, after 6 years of owning it i still find it a infuriating machine, so ithought it was time for a change , i have looked at the electra beckam and i have seen it described as beefed up router tabe & a bit of a toy but you seem quite posative about it, does it have a drilled & taped shaft so you can pass the work piece over the block or is it on a nut, , i did think itech was a nice looking piece of kit but i do have a couple of questions about it. thanks again martin

Martin,
it is a "standard" type spindle, with a big nut locking down on your 30mm bore cutter block. If you do lots of raised panel work I would advise you check out the max diameter cutter you are likely to use/need. The Elektra/Metabo is limited to about 160mm.

Colin

There are plenty of good old cast iron spindle molders around for rather reasonable prices. Machines built to last for centuries. Most have flat belt drive that works on a smooth shaft and the motor bolted directly to the frame. Back in those day spindle tilt was unusual but that can be compensated in part by buying one of theese modern tilting cutter heads. Unfortunately I have no own experience (yet) of tilting heads but they are said to be all right for most uses.

Just an idea.......

I looked at an I tech spindle there recently,
Was it the model with the sliding table?
If so it looked ok for the money, I was also thinking of end grain work.
There are plenty of old cast iron spindle moulders around but how many with a sliding table?
The table looks exactly the same as the one on my scheppach table saw (ts4010).
I wouldnt say the the machine is up to doing large scale joinery work (but thats not what I do).
If you get one let us know what you think.

Ps I think Axminster sell the same machine

Davin

Thank you Davin & Heimlana for your ideas iv'e looked around at the older machines but i could really do with a sliding table for end grain work
The machine is actually a SIP 1456 as it turns out, so perhaps some one will have a opion on that, so i am trying to get a deal on it at the moment, if i go ahead i will let u know how i get on, thanks again.
MARTIN

Many old spindle moulders have a sliding table.

The old sliding tables were bolted down on top of the main table. When not in use it was removed. I often see those old detachable sliding tables for sale around here with or sometimes without the spindle moulder to which it once belonged.

Detachable sliding tables are even sold new for elderly machines:
http://www.lovangersmaskin.se/product_i ... ts_id/1609. They are terribly expensive as new but turn up secondhand now and then.
They fit a machine like this:
http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Bordsfr ... m?ca=2&w=3
http://www.blocket.se/stockholm/Snicker ... m?ca=2&w=3

Bigger is better. A 7HP machine doesn't actually take up much space compared to a smaller one but it'll do a lot more, including small stuff.
Power feed is more or less essential extra. You can manage without one, but only if you have to.

the sliding table on this machine is total rubbish to the point of being unusable. the speed change is accessed from the rear so it has to be well out in the open taking up too much space. the spindle lock is a flimsy thing which snaps off. etc.etc. do not even consider buying this machine. axminster do a similar machine for slightly more money which has an integral tenoning table front speed change and tilts back instead of forward like the itech

IMHO, forward tilting spindles are next to useless if you plan on using a powerfeeder & you have to be very careful when using them. And they are not as versatile as rear tilting

Personally I'd look for a rear tilting version, much safer to use.
As Jacob says get one with a decent sized motor, or your going to be ltd by small & or lightweight blocks.

Back