Buying source

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

belto

Reaction score
Newby just obtaining parts to manufacture the Router table top shown in issue 152 by Ian Dalziel
Where can I obtain the control clamps shown, or is it possible to manufacture my own

Welcome to the forum, belto.

D'you mean the featherboards? Like, erm... these? Yes, it's possible to make your own by making a series of parallel cuts in a suitable hardwood (someone? Help? I can't think of any. Oh wait, oak for a start it seeems... :oops: ).

Cheers, Alf

Alf":1f979du8 said:
Yes, it's possible to make your own by making a series of parallel cuts in a suitable hardwood (someone? Help?)

I don't see why you can't make them out of MDF or plywood, either.

Gill

Hi Belto...welcome to the forum.

I am unsure by what you mean with control clamps, i assume with reading the replies from Alf and Gill you mean hold downs or feather boards. These are available from various suppliers ie axminster, rutlands etc but it is perfectly feasable to make your own, these are normally made with oak.

Its nice to see someone have a go a my router table...i have been hoping someone from here would try it to see just how good it was.
Pat Warner really liked it.
please Pm your details and i'll post off a disc with more pictures that should help with the build. The materials used in the build were mostly
B and Q bits so not to difficult to obtain

Regards
Ian

Gill":35dwadm9 said:
I don't see why you can't make them out of MDF or plywood, either.
MDF tends to snap rather than flex while plywood doesn't seem to flex so well as wood. I found ash pretty good, now I come to think about it. S'not just a snobby, anti-sheet materials attitude, honest. Even though they are the spawn of the devil... :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Hi all thanks for a great welcome and thanks for the response. Nice to see there are still some civilised parts.
I am a real newbie and must get to grips with a whole new terminology.
Had a look around the site and what great skills there are. back to topic yes feather boards was the subject and I feel that I might have ago at producing them my self for the experience and practice.
While were on the subject. What source of learning is there available on the use of a router and router table i.ae tecniques and safety etc

Hi Belto
If you have Sky it is worth checking out "The New Yankee Workshop" on Discovery. He uses routers a lot ( as well as having made his own router table on the show).
Hope this helps,
Philly :D

Philly":1u0of5bx said:
If you have Sky it is worth checking out "The New Yankee Workshop" on Discovery. He uses routers a lot ( as well as having made his own router table on the show).
Philly, he said "safety"... :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

Apart from NYW is there any Routing insturctional DVD's out there? Anyone have a recomendation?

I am also a newbie who will be embarking on making a router table in the near future.

FWIW, I made my featherboards out of 8mm PVC sheet - a free offcut from a local plastics engineering company. Very compliant material, so setup is not at all fussy.

cheers

Ike

Hi belto

Welcome to the forum.

I would recommend the following books: -

Routing for beginners - Anthony Bailey
Woodworking with the router - Bill Hylton & Fred Matlack

Cheers
Neil

Hi
thanks for the info
Now have the book Woodworking with the router by Bill Hylton & Fred Matlock .
Working my way through.
American terminology, what's a Dado, rabbit etc
Very informative and detailed.

Back