Quantcast

Buying & Selling Forum

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

DrDerrick

Established Member
Reaction score
Can somebody please tell me why a member need 20 contributions before he can offer something for sale. Surely, it's relatively easy to tell the difference between a legitimate private seller and a commercial seller - if that's what you're trying to do. I'm thinking of closing down my workshop (not commercial) and selling my machines, tools, etc. but find I have to look for topics about which I can say something that may be useful before I can let other members know. Just wondering why the rule is there.
Quick Reply

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
The for sale section is for forum contributors, not for people to offload their stuff without paying eBay fees and the like and then never actually contribute anything to the forum.

MikeK

Staff member
Reaction score
I can answer based on experience with my websites and membership at other websites, such as this site. Generally, the Buy and Sell or Marketplace forum is a benefit of membership and not the primary draw to a website. Unlike eBay, or similar sites that exist solely as s platform for sales, members at discussion sites like to know the seller before engaging in these activities. Of course, there is some protection offered by PayPal, but not all transactions use PayPal.

On some of the boards I managed or frequent, some transactions take place where the goods are shipped first and payment follows. The payment isn't always via PayPal, but sometimes involves personal checks that must clear the bank. This is accepted because of the comfort and trust built through the dialog.

I'm sure some would argue that 20 posts is not enough, and on one photography board I frequented, the requirement to access the Buy and Sell forum was at least 180 days of membership and at least 300 meaningful posts. For those who didn't want to comply, there was always FredMiranda, where the requirement to post anything for sale was paying the annual $35 fee.

If you know of a sure-fire way of discriminating between a private and a commercial seller, please let me know.

DrDerrick

Established Member
Reaction score
Sounds rather silly and self-defeating. It simply deprives members from buying good tools and good prices, and from selling their surplus tools to new and more experienced woodworkers. Why not ask members if they want this rule retained?

marcros

(Trevanion)+1
Reaction score
6 and a half years and 17 posts. you are nearly there.

DrDerrick

Established Member
Reaction score
Yes, and meanwhile there's a member that has posted in the marketplace forum that he wants an item that I have - and may sell - that I can't reply to it. Unclear how that's a membership benefit, but thanks for all the replies.

marcros

(Trevanion)+1
Reaction score
but you can...

wanted ads placed by members are responded to by private message only. You only need 3 posts to use that.

to do so, click on the blue button to the left of the like button on the wanted post.

oakmitre

Established Member
Reaction score
Since the website style changed, I can't see post counts anymore.

How do you do it ?

DrDerrick

Established Member
Reaction score
marcros":1x3mml22 said:
but you can...

wanted ads placed by members are responded to by private message only. You only need 3 posts to use that.

to do so, click on the blue button to the left of the like button on the wanted post.
Thanks!

Bm101

Lean into the curve.
Reaction score
DrDerrick":2339yg3m said:
Yes, and meanwhile there's a member that has posted in the marketplace forum that he wants an item that I have - and may sell - that I can't reply to it. Unclear how that's a membership benefit, but thanks for all the replies.
Sell it on Ebay. It's quite simple. Ot any number of auction sites. They will all take your fees.
The posting limit is to stop chancers and freeloaders from taking the p ish. I don't suggest you are either but on a trust based system who would I rather rely on? Andy Brown who sent me an item without asking for money just today and who I will have to probably bully to take my cash or you? Never heard of you. I don't know you. Even on an internet basis.
Let me state again. I'm not being rude. If you can't understand sell cheap and quick and safe to reputable members you can't. The wanted section is non answer and private reply only.
Again not being rude or personal. And i certainly don't infer any negative bias toward you personally, far from it. If you posted regularly I might feel more trust though tbh.
Good luck. Hope it works for you.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
DrDerrick":vl8rx3t9 said:
Sounds rather silly and self-defeating. It simply deprives members from buying good tools and good prices, and from selling their surplus tools to new and more experienced woodworkers. Why not ask members if they want this rule retained?
Why are you posting this in GW? Now moved.

It is not self defeating nor silly.
And please, if only there was a quid on offer for every time the old "doing fellow members a favour" line appeared.....
The FS board is not really as important as you seem to think. It's just an add-on to the main function of the forum and a useful service for members who contribute to the main boards.
Bm101 (and Trevanion before) has just summed up what I was about to say.
As for the qualifying post count, it's maybe a bit low......
As mentioned, you've made 19 posts (at time of posting) in 7 years and 12 of those are moaning about the FS section, even your first post in June 2016 was gurning about the FS board:

Seems to me to be a rather silly rule! What can I do?
Last edited by DrDerrick on 30 Jun 2016, 16:13, edited 3 times in total.

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
By DrDerrick - 02 Oct 2017, 15:16
Hi, you guys seem to be in an inner circle in the forum, so maybe you can tell me why a member need 20 contributions before he can offer something for sale. Surely, it's relatively easy to tell the difference between a legitimate private seller and a commercial seller - if that's what you're trying to do. I'm thinking of closing down my workshop (not commercial) and selling my machines, tools, etc. but find I have to look for topics about which I can say something that may be useful before I can let other members know. Just wondering why the rule is there.
I've a feeling the FS board will not like you......

Trevanion

Greatest Of All Time
Reaction score
1 more post and you'll be able to list your workshop contents that you've spent 2 years trying to sell! :D

DrDerrick

Established Member
Reaction score
Sorry to find so many thin skins. I was just questioning what seem to me to be rather silly rules that serve, in my humble opinion, no useful purpose. Anyway, enough said - I'll get back in my box.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
Noel":rbrs963e said:
By DrDerrick - 02 Oct 2017, 15:16
Hi, you guys seem to be in an inner circle in the forum, so maybe you can tell me why a member need 20 contributions before he can offer something for sale. Surely, it's relatively easy to tell the difference between a legitimate private seller and a commercial seller - if that's what you're trying to do. I'm thinking of closing down my workshop (not commercial) and selling my machines, tools, etc. but find I have to look for topics about which I can say something that may be useful before I can let other members know. Just wondering why the rule is there.
I've a feeling the FS board will not like you......
Noel":rbrs963e said:
........As mentioned, you've made 19 posts (at time of posting) in 7 years and 12 of those are moaning about the FS section, even your first post in June 2016 was gurning about the FS board........
Nice to see a moderator taking a pleasant neutral line with the members he serves.

banjerbill

Established Member
Reaction score
Nice to see a moderator taking a pleasant neutral line with the members he serves.
Moderators moderate content, they don't serve members. They are members also and are entitled to their opinions like the rest of us.

MikeG.

Established Member
Reaction score
banjerbill":39dn35n0 said:
Moderators moderate content, they don't serve members. They are members also and are entitled to their opinions like the rest of us.
No members should be commenting about other members. Comment on what they write, on their opinions, but not on them personally. That's just a fundamental. "They won't like you" (in terms) is not behaviour any member should be indulging in, let alone someone in a position of power who should be trying to set an example.