Buying paslode in America

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trumpetmonkey

Established Member
Reaction score
Anything with the name "gun" in the title or the ability to shoot things, I wouldn't try and check it onto a plane. A stay in the bay could offset the saving.

But if you were to unbox it and play with it then box it up and ship it back, customs won't be able to charge you for it as it will be just a non-commercial package.

Chems":gnwouvoj said:
But if you were to unbox it and play with it then box it up and ship it back, customs won't be able to charge you for it as it will be just a non-commercial package.
I'm not sure how accurate that is.
Certainly taxes can be applied by customs to used items, gifts and the like. It's not just commercial packages.

BigShot":xek6u772 said:
Chems":xek6u772 said:
Certainly taxes can be applied by customs to used items, gifts and the like. It's not just commercial packages.

Best to check here.

A brief extract:
"You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty." but you may still get charged VAT at 20%

BigShot":nw48wawx said:
Chems":nw48wawx said:

If there's no marking/documentation attached on the box, how do they know what to charge? 20% of what? Otherwise if my auntie in America sends me a Christmas present I may get charged 20% vat on it?

I've never tried this out btw, I just thought this was how it worked.

RogerP":21qgw808 said:
BigShot":21qgw808 said:
Chems":21qgw808 said:

Best to check here.

A brief extract:
"You can bring in other goods worth up to £390 without having to pay tax and/or duty." but you may still get charged VAT at 20%

That's all about bringing it with your when your travel. I was suggesting posting it. In which case I think there's a diff section of that HUGE website probably devoted to it.

Chems":n53o0xbm said:
RogerP":n53o0xbm said:
Best to check here.
A brief extract:
That's all about bringing it with your when your travel. I was suggesting posting it. In which case I think there's a diff section of that HUGE website probably devoted to it.

I was answering what the OP said "I'm visiting family in America and looking at buying a second fix paslode over here as they're cheaper."

Chems":35wcgq8n said:
Sorry Roger I was tied up in my own idea!
No problem :)

Over the years I've bought loads of stuff from all over the world and paying duty/tax/vat is a lottery. Sometimes you get charged any other times not. The worst is if it's sent by carriers, Fedex, DHL, UPS etc. I've found you never escape all the duties plus get whacked by their exorbitant "handing" charges. If at all possible get the seller to send by ordinary insured airmail. At least then you have chance. :wink:

Funny a handling charge, you think that would be covered under delivery, seen as handling is basically delivery!

No matter what carrier it comes in by you'll get stung for handling if there's a customs charge or VAT payable. Royal Mail is by fat the cheapest but you're basically stuffed unless you're buying from one of the few companies where you can pre-pay the relevant taxes. Apart from that you've basically no choice but to cough up. For most things you can simply change the $ sign to a £ sign to get the real cost or anything you intend to import from the US by post.

If you want an item you've posted to be insured you've got to fill out the documents properly, and from what I remember, things coming in from the US have a label on with an item value. USPS may not even accept it for postage without one (not sure about that, but I have a feeling that's the case).

and from what I remember, things coming in from the US have a label on with an item value.
The UK customs form which is stuck on the parcel has to show the value and is required for everywhere overseas except EU countries.

Thought so.
Understate the value and you're stuffed if it goes missing. State it honestly and you'll be *expletive removed* for tax.

Chems":1xt1tmu9 said:
Anything with the name "gun" in the title or the ability to shoot things, I wouldn't try and check it onto a plane. A stay in the bay could offset the saving.

ROFLMAO!

Suppose there would be some upsides - nice weather, own outdoor room and meals on wheels to your room. :lol:

Dibs

p.s. Seriously - you could check it into the hold and as long as it's not pressurised, no nails with it and\or gas, you should be ok.

Dibs-h":3hetz6wv said:
p.s. Seriously - you could check it into the hold and as long as it's not pressurised, no nails with it and\or gas, you should be ok.

Yeah it occurred to me the gas is a banned thing to take on an airplane.

All round it's no longer looking like such a good idea to buy it here. No one has commented on my main question about compatibility between UK an US models for spares and nails - but that looks like it could be an issue as well as the customs charges.

hi, regarding compatability they're the same, a mate at local merchants got me a US 1st fix (im350 here) and only difference other than the label was a 110v US charger of course.

I bought a domino back on the plane, no customs or anything but security did open my case to check it out there was a note left inside.

ade1":36kg3vkj said:
hi, regarding compatability they're the same, a mate at local merchants got me a US 1st fix (im350 here) and only difference other than the label was a 110v US charger of course.

So did you just have to buy another charger? How much are they?

I a looking at the 18 gauge finish nailer. Model no. 901000 in America or IM50 in UK. In America it's $259 and at Screwfix it's £410 - a huge difference!

http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1v/R ... ogId=10053

http://www.screwfix.com/p/paslode-im50- ... 30v/62124#

luckily didn't need another charger as just use the one off 2nd fix gun, you should be able to get the base and adaptor for around the £40 mark, maybe cheaper on ebay, or even possibly get a small domestic transformer, think they're only something like £15ish. one thing worth mentioning though you'll prob be aware is the warranty will most likely be null & void over here, never actually followed it up to be honest.

Back