Buying paslode in America

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I bought a first fix Paslode off eBay and somewhere along the line I cottoned on that it was being shipped from the States. I checked about duty etc and was told that it was all in and so it was.

This seller states that paying any duty is not their responsibility. It may be paid by the shipping company and charged to me before I can collect it.

RogerS":26hd9ub4 said:
I bought a first fix Paslode off eBay and somewhere along the line I cottoned on that it was being shipped from the States. I checked about duty etc and was told that it was all in and so it was.

Have you had any issues with parts and nails compatibility?

I know this may be a bit late but I have had 3 paslode 16g nailers and they have been nothing but trouble! The 1st fix guns iM350 and iM90 are indestructable, but the the 2nd fix pinners are cack!
I have used for the last 4 years dewalt 16g pinners and they are awesome. no gas, faster operation and much cheaper to run. I am on my second one now, the first one lasted for over 500,000 nails and the firing pin and drive wheel wore out. it was cheaper and quicker to buy a new one.
If you have a look around building sites now most of the guys are using the dewalts as opposed to the paslode ones.
Hope this gives folks something to think about.
regards, Neil.

Thanks for that but yes a bit late for me! I have ordered the 18guage paslode nailer from an ebay shop from the US, and I'm waiting for it to be delivered. I'll let you know how I get on with it, I saw a few good reviews though.

Although I'd seen those dewalts I guess I assumed a gas nailer would always be better than an electric one, especially battery powered. I've been disappointed with my Tacwise 500EL, but it is cheap and you get what you pay for of course.

So I've received it now. It's great! For anyone interested:

Total cost: £279.18 compared to at least £350 over here. As follows:

Cost: $279.99 + $62.35 P&P = £227.87 GBP at Paypal's current exchange rate.
plus Customs/VAT charge: £51.31 (paid to Parcelforce in order for them to deliver it to me)

This is the Paslode 901000 which in the UK is called the IM50.

A lot of builders merchants don't stock the 18 gauge nails, but I just found some at MKM in Sheffield.

dont get too hung up about the brand of nails you use. paslodes hold on the market slipped a good few years ago. If you were to go onto any building site you would find very few guys using genuine paslode nails and gas. This is mainly a cost consideration but also because some of the generic stuff is better quality than theoriginal! I am presently running an iM90, fantastic bit of kit, much more powerful than the 350 and more reliable in the cold weather but stuck with genuine paslode nails. (different gas cells and full round head nails) generics for my 350 are less than half the price of genuine.

Paslodes can be a pain in this cold weather, store the gas somewhere warmish to save grief.

Re:- cheaper brand nail/gas packs, we have used 'challenge' brand packs in the past and they have been ok BUT on a few occasions there hasnt been enough gas to finish the pack of nails. This has never been a problem with paslode branded packs.

The im350's are great, very tough. I'll miss our one which was stolen weekend before last (with all our work powertools) :evil: :evil: :evil:

The straight 18 gauge 2nd fix guns are more fragile (cant think of the model number atm), cracked cylinders in ours - possably from a spring in the nose failing/not being strong enough. If you keep them well maintained then it shouldnt be a problem. Those were some old models I'd like to say, possably not an issue with more modern ones.

FWIW

Now my IM50 drive blade is seriously jammed. I've done the full service clean, and oiled inside the piston cylinder. It's the whole piston/blade assembly that's jammed. It was jammed rock solid, I managed to budge it back up again after oiling it, but as soon as I fired the first nail it's jammed down again. It's really solidly stuck. Anyone else had this problem?

The usual cause of this is a piece of nail or a bit of galvanising jammed between the firing pin and the track that it runs in. It will be really chewed up and well stuck in there but thats the usual cause of that type of stoppage. have a good look where the firing pin travels' you should be able to see something in there.
HTGH' Neil

Sorry to disagree, but there IS a fundamental difference in the two units....the gas cylinder pickup.

The USA connector is cylindrical and faces vertically, the U.K. Comes in from the side. It isn't a case of swapping the plastic heads over either, as the white nozzle of the USA model is a lot thinner.

Unless I can find a way of changing the units' pickup connector to Uk Spec, I risk running out of fuel cells.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    48.6 KB · Views: 402
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    121.7 KB · Views: 402

Latest posts

Back