Buying or making jigs

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LyNx

Established Member
Reaction score
I notice alot of members refer to buying jigs before considering making them, why is that. I always try and make my own jigs before throwing in the towel and buying one.

Just wondering

Andy

I seem to do more reading about woodworking than doing it. There are a lot of home made jigs on my 'to do' list. I wondered the same thing. Tho, spending time over the last week trying to make 2 simple jigs... I can see why people might want to take the 'easy' route.

I think it probably boils down to time being in shorter supply than funds in many cases, and also some people like making jigs, and others just don't. Me, I'm short of time, money and I hate making them so I'm stuffed no matter what. :roll: :lol:

Cheers, Alf

I think jigs are a necessary evil. Very few give me pleasure in the making or the use and big ones are a real pain if you have a small workshop, especially if you think you might use them again. Some gave me so much grief to build accurately, I just can't bear to chuck them out even though the chance of me needing them again is small.

I guess forming jigs for laminated work are the worst. Look for example at Robert Ingham's for his dressing table in this month's F&C. Making the actual part probably takes a tenth of the time required to make the jig. Although we start to get into the definitional differences between jigs, fixtures and forms pretty quickly here.

Things that are closer to tools, with parts that move and which are adjustable for different jobs - like a a tenoning jig for example, can be rewarding to build as they get used over and over and each time you can think to yourself, I saved £X by making that, aren't I a clever lad? Of course with that excuse you go out and spend £2x on something else!

I'm with you on this one, Andy. Over the weekend I've made a simple auxillary table for a thicknesser and a tapering jig. Both provided good woodworking practice. Of course, it was only after I'd got the components for the tapering jig that I found out you can buy an aluminium jobbie from Axminster for less than a tenner in their current sale. Typical :roll: .

Gill

I find them useful and hate to spend money on something I could easily make myself - I believe I <ahem> may have something of a reputation

Bean":27hzwrub said:
Yes you do ...........But were trying to concentrate on jigs and jig makers here :wink:

Bean

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Jig making is an essential part of any cabinetmaking. only yesterday I was given the problem of inserting a small groove 600mm long 5mm wide and 4mm deep down the arm of the Guitar. The sides of the arm was not only tapered but was curved on the underside. There were problems to be solved as to how it was to be held stable. Then of course making a simple Jig (Throwaway ) made from scrap material Two off-cuts from a couple of doors 16mm thick.
Well the groove is now in position and the temp jig has bee cast aside.
You could not purchase a ready made jig for the job and all it cost was a little time in assembly
Tom

Gill":rgo6y4kv said:
Of course, it was only after I'd got the components for the tapering jig that I found out you can buy an aluminium jobbie from Axminster for less than a tenner in their current sale.
Fret ye not*, Gill, if it's the one I think it is, 'tis a terrible jig and you're well out of it.

Cheers, Alf

*Unless it's in connection with a scroll saw project of course... :wink:

Alf":14czghep said:
'tis a terrible jig and you're well out of it.

Thanks Alf - that's reassuring :) . All it took to make my own jig was two strips of 18mm plywood, some small offcuts, a hinge and a couple of nuts, bolts, washers etc. I was pleasantly surprised at how well it worked, too. Here's a teaser for a project that's going to be completed after I get to Stoneleigh and buy some acrylic lacquer:

TableWIP2.jpg

Note the tapering legs ;) .

Gill (who's getting quite ambitious for a mere scroller \:D/ )

One jig I made recently fixed a long standing and ongoing problem that I have...namely cutting lengths of timber at accurate right angles and to the same length (I know, I know...a hand saw and a block plane :oops: :oops: :oops: ).

So I made up a l..o...n..g jig that would take my crosscut DeWalt saw (accurately set to 90degrees) at one end and a sliding end stop on the other end...plus a few judicious guides to keep everything square...it looks Heath Robinson but works and, better still, I will always have a need for it.

I try and avoid jigs altogether. Lots of reasons - I haven't got the space to store them, I regularly change my working method, e.g. machine cut, hand cut, so reuse is never guarenteed. I find increasing satisfaction in doing the skilled bit - i.e. the joints etc with hand tools (I doubt I'll be hand thicknessing wood in the near future :oops: ). Most of all though, its the time that it takes to make a jig - some of them are engineering marvels, but I want to have things in my house - furniture, etc, and prefer to spend the time in the workshop making real projects.

For multiple repetative tasks I can see they are marvellous but as a hobby woodworker, I rarely repeat things over several projects, so don't think I'd really ever get a return on the effort and cost & material on making a jig.

Adam

Mcluma":2pnk6ox4 said:
The only jigs I have bought are a

Kitchen worktop jig
and a
Dovetail jig

The rest i make up as I need them

McLuma

I am always buying some kind of jig usually from the USA, it's not always worth the time to make them & also they are more accurate when buying them, although some are rarely used. apart from Rockler & Eagle America another good site is a different place, www.a different place.com great stuff & different but not cheap, i just bought their biscuit master its really good.

locton

Jig making to me is part of the project and add's alot of enjoyment, makes the brain tick over a bit more than usual. I did see a nice jig in the trend catalogue for a "varijig frame system" but the first thing that came to mind is "how can i make that for myself" - i guess i enjoy making jigs.

Last one was a former for some fibreglassing, took a few days to make and was used and finished with within a couple of hours, and then in the skip.

When i start the kitchen, i going to build one for marking out the centres for the hinges and mounting plates. I know these are about but i just have to "do it myself"

Andy

I have stated at looking to make my jigs I have a good book from woodsmiths custom woodworking the only drawback is most of them require good plywood and some fittings but they are all really good examples of woodworking in them self but, I can also see why they are brought i don't get the time that i wish i had nor the money :cry: so guess the best policy would be whatever suits the person but at least the homemade jigs can be adapted for unusual jobs

Martyn

Back