Buying my first scroll saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mh84

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm looking to buy my first scroll saw. I've had a look at the video on the forum which was great but I think for my needs; generally just having a mess about cutting the odd piece of wood, the lower price end is where I'm at.

I've seen a couple which I was hoping someone might be able to say if either is better than the other or is there another one out there I may have missed....

1) Record Power SS16V Scroll Saw 16-inch on Amazon for £139.

2) Scheppach SD1600V 120W 406mm Scroll Saw 240V for about £130.

One thing I'd like to be able to do is cut straight, neat lines but I can't see a guide on either of the below saws. Is this something that I would need to purchase separate?

As I said, I'm a complete novice and just want to have a play about and see what I can come up with really.

Thanks a lot!
Mark

The Aldi ones are rebadged Scheppach machines, not sure who makes the Lidl ones. You won't get a guide to cut a straight line by the very nature of how the blades are made they will always cut to one side, the majority are stamped out so leave a burr on them, how far of straight depends on the quality of the blades. The only way to cut straight or good curves is practice, practice and more practice.

I picked up a RP Ss16V for £100 a few months ago so it's worth looking around for a better price. As for the machine it performs well for the price and like yourself I bought it to try my hand at scrolling. The variable speed is worth having and it came with a 5 year guarantee.
Paul

Back