Buying my first bandsaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was looking at the Sabre 350 the other day. Kind of comparing it against the BS400 because im hoping to be in the market for one, and weighing up the choice between the two and pretty sure the Sabre is or hopefully will be the one.

If you want bandsaw blades you could just get some from a decent saw doctor. We get ours from Allied Tooling.

I've found good results with coarse blades. It was a tip I picked up via fine woodworking. A 3tpi skip tooth blade and 12mm wide does nearly all you need.

I'm not convinced by very expensive blades, just make sure it's sharp. I'm not touting for business (mods step in if this is inapropriate) but if people are looking for blades I could ask our saw doctor for some prices.

As mentioned last week - I ordered a Axminster Trade At2552 on friday - and got it deliverd yesterday at my door 😊
Total weight og the shipment - 104 kg. The saw itself is 85 kg.
🙈
Well I have got it into my small workshop - unpacked and started the assembly.
Looks great.
So - tomorrow i will start going trough the settings- looking forward too do so.
👍
I really appreciate all the tips and advice from you 👍

As mentioned last week - I ordered a Axminster Trade At2552 on friday - and got it deliverd yesterday at my door 😊
Total weight og the shipment - 104 kg. The saw itself is 85 kg.
🙈
Well I have got it into my small workshop - unpacked and started the assembly.
Looks great.
So - tomorrow i will start going trough the settings- looking forward too do so.
👍
I really appreciate all the tips and advice from you 👍
Hi Niel.

I hope you are enjoying your new the AT2552B! After a long time I'm finally ready to buy one (a Bandsaw that is) myself. I'm still a bit torn between the 350S, the AT2552B and the Sabre 350.

Could you give your opinion on the AT2552B? There is very little information on this bandsaw on the web. As I have a very small workshop, I like the fact that the AT2552B is compact. The Sabre seems to be bigger/chunkier. What do you think of the dust collection on the machine?

Cheers,
Gui

Hi Niel.

I hope you are enjoying your new the AT2552B! After a long time I'm finally ready to buy one (a Bandsaw that is) myself. I'm still a bit torn between the 350S, the AT2552B and the Sabre 350.

Could you give your opinion on the AT2552B? There is very little information on this bandsaw on the web. As I have a very small workshop, I like the fact that the AT2552B is compact. The Sabre seems to be bigger/chunkier. What do you think of the dust collection on the machine?

Cheers,
Gui
Hi
I am very satisfied with my AT5552B.
The dust collection is ok - i only have aKarcher 6 vacumer - it was some leakage at the front doors at the wheelhouse - but i layer on e thin isolation tape and that worked well
I am most using 10 m 6 tip blade and - but have tried both 6 and 13 mm blade
It rips 15-18 cam without a problem - both oak and walnut - and pine.
It is very important that is stands on a very plane surface - but that said - its very very little vibration.
I have a video i can send you with the saw running - maybe best sending it om e mail

I recently had to make the same decision, I bought an Itec BS400 from Scott & Sargent and so far I’ve been very pleased with it. Resawing with 3 tip blade from Tuff Saws has been easy and accurate once the saw is set up.

I recently brought an Axminster AT3327B I have to say that it is a fantastic bit of kit
I took a long time to set it up after watching a couple of Axminster videos on YouTube By Craig Steele who is head of training at Axminster
Its main use is resawing boards up to 250mm its very capable of producing veneers around 2mm thick
With regards to blades most people seem to ditch the supplied blade and turn it into a cutter for a sandpaper dispenser
Axminster do a pack of around 5 or 6 blades with varying TPI and width which a great value and good quality
Enjoy your new machine and set aside some time to unpack it and set it up it will be time well spent

I recently brought an Axminster AT3327B I have to say that it is a fantastic bit of kit
I took a long time to set it up after watching a couple of Axminster videos on YouTube By Craig Steele who is head of training at Axminster
Its main use is resawing boards up to 250mm its very capable of producing veneers around 2mm thick
With regards to blades most people seem to ditch the supplied blade and turn it into a cutter for a sandpaper dispenser
Axminster do a pack of around 5 or 6 blades with varying TPI and width which a great value and good quality
Enjoy your new machine and set aside some time to unpack it and set it up it will be time well spent
Axminster SBW4300 bandsaw AT3327 B looks very similar to the old SBW4300. I have the europac version with alloy wheels I think the axminster version had cast iron. There were many clones at the time. I have been exceptionally pleased with mine and just had to replace the tyres. I think the design is well tested. Prices changed a bit over the years :eek:, Oh and mine has discs for the blade guides which I initially thought was a cheap alternative to bearings but actually work very well.

Buy a 10" and within a year you'll be thinking, " Maybe I should have bought a 12". Buy a 12" and within a year you'll be thinking, " Maybe I should have bought a 14", buy a 14" and within a year you'll be thinking " Maybe I should have bought a 16".
That is an expensive journey, buy once and buy right but I think many of us do look at smaller and end up larger but for me I soon realised that the larger models don't take up much more floor space than the smaller models and apart from the larger throat you also get a larger working table which I find really useful.

Sabre 350 the other day. Kind of comparing it against the BS400
The sabre has a better fence than the 400 but it is available as an upgrade on the 400 although I chose to fit the Kreg fence and the sabre have ball bearings rather than side washers to guide the blade, again can be retofitted to the 400.

Latest posts

Back