Buying jaws for 3 jaw chuck

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alex robinson

Established Member
Reaction score
I am looking at a new (second hand) lathe that comes with a large 3 jaw chuck. Does anyone know where I might be able to get new dovetail jaws for this, or would I need to buy a 4 jaw one? Unfortunately the seller does not know the exact model of chuck.

Makes quite a difference to the price to get up and running!
Thanks.

I doubt anyone will be able to answer that without more information. Do you have a photo of the chuck or jaws?

It is the 3 jaw chuck that came with a Denford viceroy. I don't know the model name. I was more wondering if there are any 3 jaw dovetail jaws made! It is an irritating spindle size - 1 1/2" x 8tpi, so not even particularly cheap to buy a new chuck.
Thanks

do they not have a Denford user's forum....think u'll find the model engineer's forum uk very helpful on such matter's but u'll need details and photo's......
plus u could look / ask on homeworkshop.org.....UK.....

You could just get a 1 1/2, 8tpi backplate for mounting a new chuck. That would widen your choice considerably.

I am looking at a new (second hand) lathe that comes with a large 3 jaw chuck. Does anyone know where I might be able to get new dovetail jaws for this, or would I need to buy a 4 jaw one? Unfortunately the seller does not know the exact model of chuck.

Makes quite a difference to the price to get up and running!
Thanks.
Alex I assume this is a typical metalworking chuck, these generally have two sets of jaws,for internal or external holding.

The typical dovetail type jaws for woodturning are not available for such a chuck.

You will need to start from scratch with any one of the numerous 4 jaw chucks available.

Richard

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I did not get the lathe - someone else is the new owner of a lovely looking Viceroy short bed. Possibly for the best as I am a bit short of cash currently, but it seemed a real shame not to put a lowish bid on it.

Interesting that dovetail type jaws were never made for 3 jaw chucks, as this was sold (in 1967) as a woodworking chuck.

It is the 3 jaw chuck that came with a Denford viceroy. I don't know the model name. I was more wondering if there are any 3 jaw dovetail jaws made! It is an irritating spindle size - 1 1/2" x 8tpi, so not even particularly cheap to buy a new chuck.
Thanks
Alex,
No so much irritating spindle sizes all you need is the back plates if you want to use a metalworking chuck, I have the T,D.S.6. B.T and made up new face plates when needed, I picked up the two taps needed to put new threads inboard and outboard and also found a Nova scroll 4 jaw chuck at a car boot that has 1 1/2 8tpi threads that screws direct on the spindle, I then found all the dovetail/pen fingers / jaw fittings online that fit and another good point is it has No 3 morse taper in head and tailstock.

IMG_20220809_1545342.jpg

Phill

Thanks for all the advice. In the end I did not get the lathe - someone else is the new owner of a lovely looking Viceroy short bed. Possibly for the best as I am a bit short of cash currently, but it seemed a real shame not to put a lowish bid on it.

Interesting that dovetail type jaws were never made for 3 jaw chucks, as this was sold (in 1967) as a woodworking chuck.
Alex, I think you dodged a bullet. I purchased a 2nd hand lathe here in Portugal and the spindle size is 1& 1/2" 8tpi. Thought is was a standard size but didn't realise that it was almost impossible to buy anything that size.
Fortunately it came with a 3 &4 jaw chuck and I can use the backplate as a face plate for bowls etc but the jaws leave nasty indentations on the bottom of the bowls. Those dovetail jaws look great. I got a small 4" faceplate made here locally and between what I've got manage most thing's that I need to turn. Also can with a couple of woodworm screws with the right thread.

Shan

Alex,
No so much irritating spindle sizes all you need is the back plates if you want to use a metalworking chuck, I have the T,D.S.6. B.T and made up new face plates when needed, I picked up the two taps needed to put new threads inboard and outboard and also found a Nova scroll 4 jaw chuck at a car boot that has 1 1/2 8tpi threads that screws direct on the spindle, I then found all the dovetail/pen fingers / jaw fittings online that fit and another good point is it has No 3 morse taper in head and tailstock.

View attachment 141361

Phill
Phill, I like your advice on how you managed to arrange your chuck with dovetail jaws. I purchased a lathe here in Portugal and the spindle size is 1 &1/2" 8tpi and been a nightmare trying to get anything that size. Fortunately it came with a 3 & a 4 jaw chuck but theyleave nasty indentations on the bottom of the bowls so might see if I can attach a dovetail chuck to the backplate of what I've got.

Cheers Shan

Alex, I think you dodged a bullet. I purchased a 2nd hand lathe here in Portugal and the spindle size is 1& 1/2" 8tpi. Thought is was a standard size but didn't realise that it was almost impossible to buy anything that size.
Fortunately it came with a 3 &4 jaw chuck and I can use the backplate as a face plate for bowls etc but the jaws leave nasty indentations on the bottom of the bowls. Those dovetail jaws look great. I got a small 4" faceplate made here locally and between what I've got manage most thing's that I need to turn. Also can with a couple of woodworm screws with the right thread.

Shan
Well, it went for more than I could afford, so I will never know. Thanks for the consolation though - very easy to regret not bidding more for something, despite the head saying that you should choose your limit and never change your mind in excitement.

I was really tempted by something with weight behind it and being able to turn large pieces of green wood with tailstock support. My little axminster can handle up to 18" with the head swivelled, but it is seriously underpowered, wobbles like hell when you put something big on it and is a bit terrifying every time you start a new piece!

For getting round the indentation problem, I made myself some plywood cole jaws, and they seem to hold things well enough to tidy up the bases gently.

Shan,
If you have the four jaw chuck see if you can find a set of "soft jaws" that fit the chuck, there should be a ref: No on the chuck or on the jaws, If you can find soft jaws then look for a set of dovetail jaws, setup and screw them to the soft jaws and there you go.
Or if you can't do that ask a local engineer to help, I don't know if they work for beer money over there.

Let us know how you go.

Alex save up and go for one you will be pleasantry surprised how good they are.

Shan,
If you have the four jaw chuck see if you can find a set of "soft jaws" that fit the chuck, there should be a ref: No on the chuck or on the jaws, If you can find soft jaws then look for a set of dovetail jaws, setup and screw them to the soft jaws and there you go.
Or if you can't do that ask a local engineer to help, I don't know if they work for beer money over there.

Let us know how you go.

I'll have a butcher's tomorrow at the chuck, I'm pretty sure it has some ref no. It was made in Checkslovakia I think. When you say 'soft jaws' are you meaning aluminium?

Seems they work for beer and money.

Cheers

Shan,

Let us know how you go.

One of these days I most certainly will. Cast iron lathe with a decent swing and a planer thicknesser are my 2 dream toys.

One of these days I most certainly will. Cast iron lathe with a decent swing and a planer thicknesser are my 2 dream toys.
Alex, I didn't know too much about buying a lathe but someone told me to go for a heavy 3 phase model. So fortunately the 3 phase part was simple as I've got the well pump on 3 phase and were a few on offer at various prices (2nd hand obviously). But settled on one weighing in at over 200kgs, close to home and 2 chucks thrown in! Sold to the man in the blue shirt...me. Wasn't too cheap but after a change of pulley belt I was off.

It's got a 10" swing but I haven't turned anything that big...yet! Mainly doing bowls and still learning a lot. But getting there. It doesn't have a variable speed control but with the belt I've got 4 different velocities. Haven't used top speed yet as seems pretty quick on the lower ones or maybe I haven't quite mastered the art. The length of the bed is just over a metre, some were much longer but redundant for my use. But I think it's good for what I'm doing and hopefully will go the distance. The chuck is 10kg alone so not a light-weight either.

Shan,

Let us know how you go.

Phill

I took a photo of the chuck and will attach it. The jaws have a number etched on the side, 191. I've 2 set's, excuse my terminology but 1 set for internal and external clamping.

Oh Alex mentioned plywood cole jaws. What are they? I'll search later but I'm using cork at present. Seems ok but I have to double check that the piece is clamped well and not about to fly out.
20220811_175359.jpg
20220811_175303.jpg

Alex, I didn't know too much about buying a lathe but someone told me to go for a heavy 3 phase model. So fortunately the 3 phase part was simple as I've got the well pump on 3 phase and were a few on offer at various prices (2nd hand obviously). But settled on one weighing in at over 200kgs, close to home and 2 chucks thrown in! Sold to the man in the blue shirt...me. Wasn't too cheap but after a change of pulley belt I was off.

It's got a 10" swing but I haven't turned anything that big...yet! Mainly doing bowls and still learning a lot. But getting there. It doesn't have a variable speed control but with the belt I've got 4 different velocities. Haven't used top speed yet as seems pretty quick on the lower ones or maybe I haven't quite mastered the art. The length of the bed is just over a metre, some were much longer but redundant for my use. But I think it's good for what I'm doing and hopefully will go the distance. The chuck is 10kg alone so not a light-weight either.
Having 3 phase at home would certainly make life easier - they seem to go for a lot less than 240v models.

I rarely use the higher speeds, especially not for bowl turning. I always seem to want an extra slower one! Equally I could be perfectly happy with a bed half the length. You must be a lot wiser and more restrained than me - I always get tempted to try the biggest possible, and one day it is going to go horribly wrong.

The cole jaws are just four 1/4 circles of ply that are fixed onto a set of flat jaws. They have buttons that can be moved to hold the top of a bowl, to finish the bottom. A cheap (but slightly bigger), second rate version of these: Axminster Woodturning Button Jaws - 400mm

I like them as it means you can either use a mortice type hold and turn away the attachment point, or stick on a false base to use as a tenon. Either way you end up with no sign of how the bowl was held, but don't waste much of your nice wood.

Make sure you don't use cheap softwood for the sacrificial tenon as it shears. I use bits of the hardwood pallets that stone floor tiles come in.

I'm not too sure about a lot more wiser, probably just a bit more cautious. I'm with you on the slower speeds, would be great for big stuff before it's trued up. Also for drill large holes.
The cole jaws are just four 1/4 circles of ply that are fixed onto a set of flat jaws. They have buttons that can be moved to hold the top of a bowl, to finish the bottom. A cheap (but slightly bigger), second rate version of these:
Now I see what you mean by Cole jaws. Would make things a lot easier as the widest that mine open to is 180mm so anything wider than this I can't turn the bottom. With my current chuck I can't attach the cole jaws so just have to muddle along.

I haven't made anything yet with a tenon glued on. Either attached or make a mortice to stick in the chuck. Can use the backplate as a face plate so that's how I've made most things so far but those standard chucks with the dovetail jaws look great. Might see if I can bolt one onto the backplate but would need to see if it works and then make sure everything is lined up. Might be beyond my skills tho.

Back