Buying advice for a Circular Saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spence

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi,
I am looking for a Circular Saw to use for various Diy jobs and for building vivariums for reptiles from Ply or MFC.
I do not currently own a Circular Saw, infact I have been using a Jigsaw and having an awful time of it.

I have done some research and have a few that I like the look of.
One is the Aldi Titanium Cordless Circular Saw, it's 18v with a 3amp hour battery. Looks quite good and I've heard good things about the titanium range. £70 at the mo and cordless would be really handy with big sheet goods.
The other is the Worx Circular Saw, it's only a small 85mm saw but very light and the kind thing I'd be able to handle. I would want one of the higher wattage ones as the cheapest are only 300w. A decent ones seem about £70 too. Not cordless but light enough to work with easily.

My budget isn't great so as much as I'd love a Bosch cordless saw for cutting sheet goods I am going to have to make the hobby pay for one in the future by doing s few projects and selling them. Has anyone else got the Aldi saw or the Worx mini saw or know of an alternative for me to try? Thanks alot!
Spencer

Spence":ri9uvnr6 said:
Hi,
I am looking for a Circular Saw to use for various Diy jobs and for building vivariums for reptiles from Ply or MFC.
I do not currently own a Circular Saw, infact I have been using a Jigsaw and having an awful time of it.

I have done some research and have a few that I like the look of.
One is the Aldi Titanium Cordless Circular Saw, it's 18v with a 3amp hour battery. Looks quite good and I've heard good things about the titanium range. £70 at the mo and cordless would be really handy with big sheet goods.
The other is the Worx Circular Saw, it's only a small 85mm saw but very light and the kind thing I'd be able to handle. I would want one of the higher wattage ones as the cheapest are only 300w. A decent ones seem about £70 too. Not cordless but light enough to work with easily.

My budget isn't great so as much as I'd love a Bosch cordless saw for cutting sheet goods I am going to have to make the hobby pay for one in the future by doing s few projects and selling them. Has anyone else got the Aldi saw or the Worx mini saw or know of an alternative for me to try? Thanks alot!
Spencer
If you are going for cordless then best to buy branded as there will be other tools in the range that allow u to share/mix batteries. I have the Metabo 18v which is quite a capable saw when used with a high ah ((amp hour) battery. The very best option though is to stretch to a mains powered track saw.

I find the jigsaw blade causes loads of tearing on Ply wood, I use a pretty fine toothed blade so I don't get it. I've a tablesaw but it's so dangerous running 8x4 over it.

I have a few stanley 18v tools but also a lovely bosch professional series drill that I won in a contest. Would you say it's worth saving for a saw to use the fancy wireless batteries I have with the bosch?

NazNomad":2339190w said:
You angered the Gods ... Errm, I mean, The Mods. :-D

I don't believe there's a rule against providing an eBay link in response to the need of a member?

I could be wrong - in which case I hang my head in shame and accept my 20 lashings! ;)

I wouldn't compare cheap power tools based on stated wattage my friend. They are not going to be accurate figures, it's just marketing hype, especially in this sector of the market.

Cordless isn't your friend in this price bracket imo. They will be very underpowered and battery life is likely to be poor. With a bit of thought, it doesnt take much to keep a cable out of the way, most of us use corded in the workshop I'd guess and most of us have an extraction hose attached as well as a power cord.

A used Bosch or Makita from a car boot sale or ebay would be a better bet.

This would probably be suitable: http://www.builderdepot.co.uk/makita-hs7601j-2-190mm-circular-saw-240v.html

Whatever you buy you'll have to budget for blades as stock blades are pretty poor in general.

PS. I totally agree with the others that a tracked saw would be FAR easier to use with sheet goods, if you can stretch to it.

Buy used, and buy a heavy duty powerful saw. Invest in a good quality TCT blade if the saw does not come with one.

For lightish stuff I still use a Skillsaw that I have had for 25 years.

I recently bought used a Hilti 110v heavy duty saw from a member here that I use for cutting slots, tenons etc in large oak beams. It cost a bit more than your budget ( I already had a transformer) and is a superb bit of kit that will last a couple of decades. DIY stuff is not much use for serious work and unless you are buying high end track saws and can afford a spare power pack, cordless is also gutless.

A table saw is only dangerous if unguarded, used incorrectly and you don't support the work properly. Roller stands are cheap.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B00K67 ... UTF8&psc=1

Buy it used for £72. I did and it was brand new. I own 4 track saws including the festool and a scheppach.

I find this second best after the festool. Its the same saw as the triton and the screwfix titan.

Dust extraction is good. Cut is perfect and scribe function great. Uses same tracks as the triton and i believe makita (not tested makita tracks yet). Get another 1.5m track for 35 quid and you can cut sheet goods well.

Throw away the blade and get a Freud replacement.

Only complaint is slighty short cord.. _easy fix

When I need to buy a power tool on a budget, I turn to Machine Mart's own brand 'Clarke'. I have personally found them to be good value for money.

Also - I agree with comments about going for a corded (not cordless) version, and, I would much rather buy a track saw if I had the chance again...

Back