Buying a Tracksaw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bluenose

Established Member
Reaction score
Having offloaded my Sheppach Table Saw I am now in the market to buy myself a Tracksaw.

I wonder if some of you members would be kind enough to offer any recommendations for same please.

I have set myself a budget of £150.00 give or take a smidgen. I have spotted mention of the Parkside and MacAlister in another thread but am wondering if my budget might get me something a little better.

Many thanks.

P.S. Many thanks to those members who offered advice/guidance with help selling my Sheppach a little while ago, much appreciated.

Out of your budget, I fear, but I bit the bullet and bought a Bosch - haven't regretted it yet!

G.

The same. The GKT55 is a superb saw! I find the tracks are excellent and the joining mechanism is flawless. I also have a Bosch router (GOF1600) and jigsaw (GST160) which are both compatible with the tracks (with the required accessories). Very happy with all the Bosch tools.

I thought that this subject had been done to death.
The Parkside saw is a one of special offer and will no longer be available so you can cross that of your list. The MacAlister from screwfix has also been on special offer I suspect to coincide with the Parkside offer and I assume will very soon go up to it's normal price.
Peter Millard has done a series of youtube videos that will answer all your questions.

Powertool World.
EVOLUTION R185CCS 185MM MULTI-MATERIAL CIRCULAR SAW WITH TCT BLADE
SKU: EVO027-0001C
Voltage240v
1Excl. Tax: £49.96
Incl. Tax: £59.95
EVOLUTION ST2800 1400MM X2 CIRCULAR SAW TRACKS INC CONNECTORS, CLAMPS & STORAGE BAG
SKU: EVO004-0010
1Excl. Tax: £69.96
Incl. Tax: £83.95
Subtotal (Excl.Tax)​
£119.92​
Subtotal (Incl.Tax)​
£143.90​
Shipping & Handling (Excl.Tax)​
£0.00​
Shipping & Handling (Incl.Tax)​
£0.00​
Grand Total (Excl.Tax)
£119.92
GB standard VAT (20%)​
£23.98​
Tax​
£23.98​
Grand Total (Incl.Tax)
£143.90

I haven't used it yet but it looks to be fine - a lot of saw for the money, and everyone's track seems to be expensive. A compromise, not to the standard of the dedicated plunge saws but I wanted 1/ the price, and 2/ the metal cutting capability.

I thought that this subject had been done to death...
😂 Feels that way!
@bluenose, £150 puts you in a really awkward place tbh, as the saws you can buy around that price point aren’t much different to the entry-level models.

For example, the Triton plunge saw presents itself as a mid-range saw, but is visually identical (colour-schemes aside) to the half-the-price MacAllister - but you can get spares for the Triton, and it has soft-start and a brake. Do they make up for the extra £80 or so in price? Only you can decide that. Trouble is you need to double your budget to get a Makita or DeWalt, treble it for a Bosch with rails.

@PhilPascoe Be interested to hear how you get on. I found the Evo OK for metal, but the finish in timber leaves something to be desired. 🤷‍♂️

No, it's a circular with compatible track. I wanted it for other purposes as well.
Peter - I've already put an 80t blade (a 1.7mm kerf Saxton) on it and I have a 40t if that's too fine - Ill keep the Evo blade for rough stuff and any metal.

Since '94, I've used a Makita circular saw and a 'saw board'. For the type of joinery work I do, its done fine. Recently, I was doing some work where a track saw would be very handy (also a rare for me kitchen install coming up soon) so decided to get one.

I ended up getting the Erbauer from screw fix, top of your budget but its pretty good. The rails and cramps are pretty good also.

I was using the saw to cut pre finished oak doors to height. Some needed quite a bit off so I was cutting the veneers and chipboard core, but on some I was ripping the oak internal bottom rail and it didn't struggle even with the 48 tooth blade. The veneer cuts were very good.
I'll keep the Makita for the rough work but the track saw is way nicer to use, I bought a couple of 1.5m Makita rails the other day and will probably buy the Makita track saw soon..I'm on the slippery slope.

Having been along a similar route except I have kept my table saw and really looked into this with some very useful info from @JobandKnock then your budget is low, you will only get what you pay for and may not get the desired results. I went for a 110 volt corded Makita because it is a good basic saw with an anti tilt feature and pre scoring cut setting, plus J&K uses one on the job so good recomendation. Remember a good tool will if looked after not only deliver good results but will also retain a good resale value if that time comes. Also with something like Makita or Bosch there are add on's if required such as parallel guides and rail squares so increasing versatility. If you buy through places such as Toolden then you also get the option to pay over three months interest free so maybe not such a big hit in one. Plunge Saws | Track Saws from Festool, Makita, Dewalt

I've got the Triton with Evolution tracks but found they weren't compatible with some useful accessories such as Axminster track clips for repeat cross cutting and the 1.4m length isn't quite long enough to correctly support the Triton at the start if a cut. So I bought a 1.5m Triton track for cross cuts and it is superb quality, better than the evolution but a bit more expensive. I will be using the evolution tracks joined for full length sheet cuts. Another cost issue is that many of the budget saws come with 24 tooth blades which are fine for ripping timber and you really need a 48 tooth for ply and cross cuts.

@bluenose what @petermillard said and his you tube series is worth the watch.

Also FWIW I went the same way as you (in getting rid of table saw) but spent the extra for the Bosch - don't regret it and very happy - built an MFT as well and don't miss the table saw.

Regards

Padster

Thank you all for your valued input. I'm somewhat torn at the moment. I am a little tempted by the better quality units. Like most things I suppose, you get what you pay for. All of my tools are lined up to go to my son as and when I get the call;) I'm sure that he will be appreciative of a better quality unit.

You can't take it with you and.....................................it's only money!

spent the extra for the Bosch - don't regret it and very happy

Same here. Worth mentioning that the Bosch GKT55 is remarkably similar to the substantially more expensive Mafell MT55CC. Very similar build but lacking a couple of the premium features like the scoring cut facility and the rapid blade change. I've never had a track saw that can make a scoring cut so don't miss this feature. And the blade change on the Bosch doesn't take long at all anyway. Both have (identical?) 1400w motors which are more powerful than the equivalent Festool TS55 (1200w). Both also share the same high quality track. For the price, I think the Bosch is stand out value for money. The only thing that the Bosch/Mafell saws lack, which the Festool saws have, is a riving knife. Maybe this would be a nice feature for added safety but I work mainly with hardwoods and have never experienced any binding/kickback.

The Bosch and Mafell have entirely different motors. Scoring function is pretty much essential if you plan to do a lot of high quality plywood sheet. Absence of riving knife is inconsequential in my experience with the Mafell.

For serious use you need plenty of track to save time. I use a long double track for full sheet length, another one for sheet cross cuts, and a short track for little bits. Invaluable when, for instance, making drawers.

I've used a few tracksaws. You get what you pay for really. Mafell is spendy but bombproof. After that I would be going Festool or maybe Bosch. Amortise the cost difference over likely 20 year lifetime and it is worth going for the quality tools IMO.

Sorry to pee on your fire but I think that you will find that B&Q have advertised that price but out of interest I looked and the item is not available for home delivery and even though I live near to one of the largest B&Q in the country it shows no stock and also no stock in any nearby store.

I've decided to change my budget somewhat! This looks a good buy don't you think?
DeWalt 1300W 240V 165mm Corded Plunge saw DWS520K-GB | DIY at B&Q
They are certainly competent and robust. I have a few colleagues who use them, especially the cordless models (because they are DW fanboys and/or have DW cordless tools, such as the 1st fix nailer). Personally not keen on the plunge action, but it's really just a case of what you are used to

I'm amazed at how many people sell 'Tracksaws' without the track.
The market for this type of saw is now pretty mature, and the guide rails do tend to outlive the saws in my experience, so hardly a surprise to me. Also, if changing from, say, a Makita to a Festool or Mafell it is a real saving to be able to continue using your old rails as opposed to buying new ones outright (which in my case would mean 1 no 800mm, 3 no 1400mm and 1 no 3000mm - so hardly chump change)

I'm also looking at the Makita SP6000J1
I have the cordless version (DSP600) and I've worked for a few firms who use the SP6000 (and used them, comparing to my own Festool TS55), and again it is a competent saw.

The Makita has a scoring facility (useful for dealing with laminated and veneered panels) but I'm not sure if the DW has that feature, the Makita can also use quite a few other (cheaper) tracks such as Triton and Evolution as well as Festool. DW saws are restricted to their own tracks and cannot use anyone else's. The DW saw can be used to trim doors in situ due to its' thin blade cover. This is useful for installing laminate flooring. See some of the @petermillard videos on YouTube for more info

None of these saws is particularly powerful, but then again their target market is going to be cutting a lot of sheet materials up to 25mm thick, so it isn't a killer

Last edited:
Hi

A quick comparison of corded models.

Makita SP6000J2Bosch GKT55GCEDewalt DWS520KTRFestool TS55RMafell MT55CCKIT
Motor Pin1300 Watts1400 Watts1300 Watts1200 Watts1400 Watts
Blade Dia165mm165mm165mm160mm162mm
Depth of cut
90°55mm57mm55mm55mm57mm
45°39mm42mm40mm43mm40mm
Weight4.2Kg4.7Kg5.1Kg4.5Kg4.7Kg
Nearest cut18mm29mm12mm24mm
from wall
No load Rpm2000 - 5200 Rpm3600 - 6250 Rpm1750 - 4000 Rpm2000 - 5800 Rpm3600 - 6250 Rpm
Riving kniveNoNoYesYesNo
Price inc VAT£400£469£414£619£636
plus 2 rails
NOTES
The Bosch and Mafell saws share some manufacturing/components.
The depth scale on the Makita does not compensate when on a track but has a 2mm scoring depth setting.
The Dewalt lacks a positive stop at 45°.

Back