Buying a new workshop.....

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Adam

Established Member
Reaction score
Well, we're off to look into buying a new workshop for me this morning. (with attached house of course!) :D

Yippee.....

Adam

PS: Odd thing is, if we were first time buyers again, we couldn't afford to buy the house we are in now. Something isn't right!

Oooo, exciting times. :D Wish I could se the agents' faces when you describe what you want as a "large woodworking workshop with house en suite" :lol: Good luck.

Cheers, Alf

Hi Adam,

Good luck looking for your new workshop with attached store (SWMBO would call it her home).

When we were looking for ours last year the mrs and the estate agent would head for the front door and me i went straight for the workshop.

At the time we were living on the south coast and we viewed houses from there all over England, Wales and finally up to Scotland. Some of the time the wife could not come with me, so i would take the camcorder, and i am sure you can guess what building took up most of the tape?
Looking at the workshops i was like a kid with a new toy.

Obviously there are plenty of workshops in England and some of them are a nice size (just look at Charley's) but for some reason we found 10 times as many in both Wales and Scotland then we found in England. I don't know why, maybe it just so happened that these people were selling their homes at the time and at any other time there is no difference.

Then we found this house with its 2 storey 26xi13 foot workshop and i fell in love with it, and that was it SWMBO did not have any say in the matter. No it wasn't like that, and to be perfectly honest there was a number of occasions when the house was great but not the workshop, and she did not want to know and said that we are going to keep on looking until we find a perfect house and workshop and thats what we did. Well the house was not exactly perfect and needed some work, but at the price we got it for it was a steal, and now 16 months later we have it just the way we want it.

I bet that lot bored you to tears.

Once again good luck Adam.

Regards

Mike.C

Hi Adam

On the one hand, I'm so pleased for you.

But on the other, I'm thinking if he doubles the size of his workshop to a single garage, he'll be able to fit in four times more tools than I can into the same space. :cry:

Good luck in your search. :wink:

All the best
Neil

Hi Neil,

I was fed up trying to squeeze everything into shoe box, and evey time we moved house the workshop was way down the list of priorities. You know the sort of thing "As long as it had a garage", so we said that the next house we buy had to have a decent size workshop where i could lay my machines out and not have to move them or anything else when i wanted to use another machine.
I also wanted enough room to section off a part as a finishing room/spray booth. And so this place fits the bill very well.
It also has a double garage next door. One half is for the car and the other we had been using to store the removal boxes while we restore/decorate the house. When we unpack them i am going to use it as a wood store, and i am thinking about building some sort of housing where i can pipe the dust out of the workshop to my dust extractor.
I also have the option of building a hut type housing outside, which do you think would be better?
Adam how did you get on with the one you built?

At the moment i am re-vamping the workshop and i will post some photos when it is finished.

Regards

Mike

Latest posts

Back