Buying a machine on eBay sight unseen with pallet delivery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hire a plant trailer or suitable vehicle, or someone you trust to collect who knows what to look for and pay cash on collection. That way, if it doesn't fit description, you can walk away. Only bid on reasonably local machinery.
Yes I generally do that but since delivery was being offered, it seemed a great way to avoid a full days driving and loading each end……which is also inherently risky.

The bidding on this was interesting, the bids worked up to £630, close to the end there was a bid of £1100 and I won it with a snipe bid (gixen) of £1200.…..so final amount was one increment more than £1100

I slightly wonder if the second bidder has messaged and offered more - as he clearly wanted it. Maybe he’s offered to collect and pay cash (can seller avoid eBay fees doing that?)

I sent another message this morning but no response at all - I’m clearly being ignored.

Part of me thinks I should pay it and see what happens, but Its a bit hard when Im being ignored.

Considering that you still have not received any communication from the vendor, I would be inclined to hold off paying and see what pans out. Wait now for them to contact you, if they ever do.
If they don't get in contact with you, just try and put it down to experience and move on.
Getting involved in raising a dispute will only cost you time and stress.

I sent another message this morning but no response at all - I’m clearly being ignored.

Part of me thinks I should pay it and see what happens, but Its a bit hard when Im being ignored.
Now you're just looking for grief....you've sent multiple messages and the seller hasn't even got back to you wondering where the payment is..or even saying 'pay me then we can arrange delivery'
unless you've become emotionally attached to having the green machine, engage ebay and request to cancel, after 4 days the seller can cancel on you, ringing any bells to the earlier post...

I once bought a car at a live car auction, inspected it visually, won the auction and then took it for a test drive. Clutch slipped so did not buy it, not as described.
which is precisely one of the circumstances I mentioned when you can reject something, ie if it is not as described. The problem is " in good working order" is a matter of opinion and therefore essentially meaningless.

Personally I'd wait for comms until any payment is made, you are not asking much for open comms post auction and its not that rude in itself for them to ignore you. I'd contact ebay and raise your concerns, that way you will have some protection against a mark against your account if the sale automatically cancels due to non-payment. The reasons for comms silence may be valid but cover yourself either way.

To point out the obvious if it hasn't been already, the seller has some chance of being on here, just saying...

To point out the obvious if it hasn't been already, the seller has some chance of being on here, just saying..
yes I did think that…..I did try and be vague so the actual listing wasn’t able to be identified, however this parish is full of clever people with a nose for sniffing out old cast iron.

Last edited:
Update!

the seller has got back to me and has answered all my questions in full and I do feel reassured, although somewhat confused by the delay in responding, I would’ve been checking if I had sold a machine for that sort of money.

Im waiting for an update on the delivery with insurance so once Ive got that, I shall deal with the payment.

At a live auction things are different. You get time to check the item before you bid.
And you know you're buying from a reputable seller (i.e. you know the item exists).

I think it's fine to ask for reassurance even after the ebay bidding is over. I've seen handplanes with the cutting iron in wrong way around, described as being in good working order.

Cheers, Vann.
No. When you sign up to e bay you undertake to buy something if you are the winning bidder, those are the rules. If you don't like them and the inherent risks involved in this sort of site, then don't use it.
And it is YOUR responsibility to satisfy yourself with the condition of the item before you bid, and to satisfy yourself that the seller is legitimate, not to embark on that process once you have won the auction. If you can't physically examine it yourself then you have to decide if you are prepared to take a punt on the basis of the description and photographs. The only recourse you have after the event is if the thing is not as described. I entirely agree that the seller should communicate regarding shipping, but in this case there was a clear flag in their feedback to tell you that this might not be the case. it may of course be that they are ignoring the buyer because they have yet to actually pay for it! If you are looking to spend that amount then it pays to do your homework, which in this case would have probably led to the conclusion that this seller might be better avoided, unless the price was going to be so cheap as to make it worth the risk. At this stage I think it would be reasonable to message the seller to request a response within 24 hours, and if none is forthcoming contact e bay customer services.

The bidding on this was interesting, the bids worked up to £630, close to the end there was a bid of £1100 and I won it with a snipe bid (gixen) of £1200.…..so final amount was one increment more than £1100
The winning bid is always one increment more than the next highest, nothing suspicious about it!
Looks OK to me - but pay with ebay or paypal so you are covered.
Yes there were dresses - perhaps a transvestite woodworker - more likely his Mrs? :unsure:

I've only had one hassle worth mentioning with Ebay and I lost about £200 on a musical instrument but otherwise has been good.
Most improbable sale was my son's old Landrover which was broken down abandoned stuck tight down a narrow back lane on a Greek island, with nobody particularly looking after it for weeks. Sold for £1500, paid pronto and happy purchaser dropped me a thank you letter! He must have extracted it bit by bit!

I've only had one hassle worth mentioning with Ebay and I lost about £200 on a musical instrument but otherwise has been good.
Most improbable sale was my son's old Landrover which was broken down and stuck down a tight back lane on a Greek island, with nobody particularly looking after it for weeks. Sold for £1500, paid pronto and happy purchaser dropped me a thank you letter!
I once sold a Disco 1 on ebay many years ago, it looked absolutely lovely and was in perfect working order but just turned out to be an eternal money pit.

When I advertised the listing, I was very clear and the item description actually said it was a complete money pit that would rob the eventual buyer blind of random expensive car parts throughout it's remaining sorry life as based on my experience. The main item description was something along lines of 'Discovery, look elsewhere, don't buy this shed'. I listed everything that had gone wrong with it, everything. It went well over the book price when it sold and I had tons of interest, I guess the honesty worked and I was, brutally. Ironically in the listing I actually stated that I wouldn't be surprised if the car didn't get the buyer home. It didn't and he threatened to to take me to court.

I once sold a Disco 1 on ebay many years ago, it looked absolutely lovely and was in perfect working order but just turned out to be an eternal money pit.

When I advertised the listing, I was very clear and the item description actually said it was a complete money pit that would rob the eventual buyer blind of random expensive car parts throughout it's remaining sorry life as based on my experience. The main item description was something along lines of 'Discovery, look elsewhere, don't buy this shed'. I listed everything that had gone wrong with it, everything. It went well over the book price when it sold and I had tons of interest, I guess the honesty worked and I was, brutally. Ironically in the listing I actually stated that I wouldn't be surprised if the car didn't get the buyer home. It didn't and he threatened to to take me to court.
Very funny, and good luck taking you to court when your description had proved so accurate!
The best one I ever saw was In an advert for an old S Class Mercedes. The guy said it's a twenty foot car, looks ok from twenty feet away. Get up close and it looks like it was painted by Stevie Wonder using a dead cat for a brush !

and to satisfy yourself that the seller is legitimate, not to embark on that process once you have won the auction.
I think it is perfectly reasonable to verify the legitimacy of a sale after winning the auction. Before bidding is ideal but It may be a waste of yours and the sellers time doing these checks. And it may not be apparent that there is an issue until the sale has gone through. Having a discussion on the telephone (not possible before sale goes through), asking for photos of specific parts of the machine to make sure it exists. If the seller is genuine then they will understand.

I mentioned previously that someone tried to scam me over a fork lift truck. When I subsequently sold the one I did buy, the buyer was very wary, he had previously travelled from wiltshire to Southern Ireland with his low loader to collect something which was non existent, scammers did no get any money from him but it cost him a lot going there and back.

Why can you not have a conversation with the seller before the auction ends? I do this all the time buying watches. It's easy to circumvent e bay's messaging block in sharing numbers or e mail addresses.

Back