Buying a machine on eBay sight unseen with pallet delivery

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As to the first, again the timeframe of ebay means sometimes you've just got to throw a bid on; and you're forgetting distance, if it was easy for him to go see it, I'm sure RobinBHM would have, he's not an silly person.

To the second, again ebay timeframes, blah blah etc etc. - Asking questions IS NOT "cold feet", just prudent when dealing with ebay sellers. Worst case if the seller isnt forthcoming he doesnt pay and the seller has to relist it - and I would also say to RobinBHM if the seller tries to get a "non payer" mark against you I would appel on the grounds the seller ignored your attempts to communicate.

There are MULTIPLE INHERENT RISKS with selling on a platform like ebay and ANYONE who's ever sold on it will know that, and this is one of them, also as you pointed out a seller can now offer to the second bidder (which they couldn't before some years back), so the risk now is even smaller than it was before - but "keeping the second bidder sweet" just how would you do that? Tell them the winner is pulling out, without proof to the fact (only your paranoid assumptions) and then said second bidder gets thier hopes up, only to be dashed when RobinBHM makes good?

Worst case if RobinBHM does pull out because the answers he gets are not to his liking and feels bad he can offer to paypal gift the listing fees etc etc. If the guy doesnt respond, then as a seller it's his own fault and he can eat the fees himself and hopefully learn a lesson.

Get a grip people, this is EBAY not bloody Sothebys! Sheesh!

If I was spending money I couldn't afford to loose I'd either not bid on the item (and look out for something nearer at a later date) or make the effort to go and look before making the bid. For something at a throw away price, no I wouldn't care, I'd place the bid and keep my fingers crossed.

If I was interested in something I would ask my questions first. If the seller was selling something costing pennies I can appreciate that they may be inundated with questions and be unresponsive. For a capital cost item, and I appreciate that everyone has a different reference point , as a seller, I would make a more than reasonable effort to answer a potential buyers question. I see a bit of presale customer service as a method of increasing the bids on an item, unless obviously, if its a buy it now. If a seller isn't answering my questions, as a buyer, I would think twice about placing a bid - especially if its a lot of money.

If I was selling items on an auction site, and I do so from time to time, alarm bells would start to ring in my head if somebody who has won the auction starts asking questions that should really have been asked before placing a bid. I would certainly start to think about second bidders and keep them in my back pocket.

Feedback possibly a bit harsh here imo. It's an auction and maybe you slap a bid in and don't expect to win. Now you've won you want to know more info about the condition of the machine before parting with a substantial chunk of cash. Doesn't sound like the original description offered much in the way of concrete detail. I wouldn't pay unless the seller is forthcoming. Worse case scenario, you keep your money, they keep their machine (and can put it up again for sale if they choose).
Try that approach at a live auction and see how you get on! If you bid and win you have bought it. And descriptions like in good working order are so subjective as to be totally meaningless. Your only recourse would be if you plug it in and it doesn't work, or there is something clearly misdescribed. So you should always satisfy yourself with the condition before you bid. The only way to do that is to examine it in person, often not possible, so you are taking a gamble. If the seller has good positive feedback for selling similar stuff over years then the description will probably be accurate, but that is about as far as it goes.

It's also common practise as a seller to basically ignore the questions of all and sundry until you know who's WON it, then answer just that person - especially with multiple listings - who's got that sort of time? Or patience

my experience of asking questions on an item in an eBay auction is that the sellers gives the most perfunctory replies, often one word answers - understandably given there could be loads of people asking questions, many just tyre kickers.

Regarding the working condition question - if they already said it is, they aren't really going to respond differently are they?
You might reasonably ask for a specific photo to prove they have the actual machine - so trying to reduce the risk of scamming by them picking other ads pictures.
You can do a reverse image search on google, if you find the same pictures popping up elsewhere in connection with other sellers or sites then it's a scam, and they have just uploaded someone else's images to create the listing.

Has anybody got experience of pallet deliveries arranged through ebay - my concern is how the seller will fit to pallet and how well it will be protected.

I didnt know ebay arranged pallet deliveries. If I buy a machine I will offer to pay the seller extra to do a good job of palletising it and ask them to use a decent pallet suitable for said machine. I will also have some ratchet straps sent to them to make sure it is secured properly.
You pays your money and takes your chances, I've had lots of machines delivered with some horror stories, the worst being from a machinery dealer who put a big morticer on a chipboard pallet no bigger than the machines base. It was bought sight unseen but was said to be in good order and was working when removed. When it came it was a total lemon. It had been outside for a very long time, motors seized and extremely rusty.
You can tell alot from a few pictures, and like deema said it looks ok

Has anybody got experience of pallet deliveries arranged through ebay - my concern is how the seller will fit to pallet and how well it will be protected.

I bought a multico p/t on ebay, just over 1k, plus 130 delivery which included optional extra insurance. The seller arranged the courier. Yes i paid a lot, but it was listed as having had hardly any use.....
It is in good nick, bit clearly has had a fair bit of use. The rise and fall failed after just a couple of hours of use, a difficult thing to access as it turned out ( without taking it apart )
Anyway, i guess the point is, the delivery went well, the pallet company phoned before arriving etc.
As said by others, you could arrange one of us to go see it.... where is it? Either way, i would expect the seller to respond, maybe ping them another message explaining you want the item but were asking for clarification. Also check the insurance status

All the above - ask before you bid. Given the amount of money, your location and (assuming I found the same item) the machine I'd be inclined to hire a truck and drive there with the cash to collect and pay/or not (you'd get the £80 off the delivery charge to offset your costs)

If the seller is uncommunicative then get in touch with eBay customer services.
We have had issues with both buyers and sellers on occasion and they have always been very helpful.
+1 for hiring a van

more red flags on that account than a Spanish bull fighting ring on fight night...
plus how did he test a 3 phase machine whilst sitting in what looks like a dining room? why move it from a garden workshop inside.

options,
pay for it, if it doesn't meet description/arrives damaged return it, = hassle (and hope ebay don't class it as industrial construction machinery = not covered), if it works you have a good machine at a very good price

request to cancel, seller can't leave you neg feedback, although ebay counts it against you

My 'feeling' is the seller (trader/auction buyer?)was expecting more for it, they'd have sent an invoice by now otherwise.

Wow, in the dining room??? have you got the link?

Looks to be original paint and not too battered, controls all look original and in good condition. No signs of rust. Cutter block etc all look in good condition. You even got a nice Wixey gauge. It’s in a house, so probably been used as a recently hobby machine.
yes, the machine does look in good, original condition -not been ruined by hammerite!

I wondered if the machine has ever been used by the seller -the wixey gauge is sitting on top of what looks like a single to 3 phase converter....maybe it was a "project" that never got fitted up.

No dresses in this seller's listing just eggs?

Has it been listed twice as a scam?

I saw a site saw that was listed several times guy had a tattoo which gave it away!
there are dresses in the reviews

also some wood working gear -like cutterblocks, TCT tips etc -it makes me think its an account shared with the wife.

I didnt know ebay arranged pallet deliveries. If I buy a machine I will offer to pay the seller extra to do a good job of palletising it and ask them to use a decent pallet suitable for said machine. I will also have some ratchet straps sent to them to make sure it is secured properly.
You pays your money and takes your chances, I've had lots of machines delivered with some horror stories, the worst being from a machinery dealer who put a big morticer on a chipboard pallet no bigger than the machines base. It was bought sight unseen but was said to be in good order and was working when removed. When it came it was a total lemon. It had been outside for a very long time, motors seized and extremely rusty.
You can tell alot from a few pictures, and like deema said it looks ok
I dont actually know if it is a pallet delivery -it just says "economy delivery" (other courier, 3 days)

I'm with the team who say ask your questions first. Once you bid you're committed.
But questions about shipping are fair. You need to be able to decide between having them ship it and going to get it so that you can pay the right amount. So no pay until the seller talks to you.

"Good working order " "good condition, no faults" is a clear statement.
If it's dead on arrival then you have a "not as described" case to get it taken back / partial refund.
You've risk is really only the £80 pallet fee and those unknown costs that come with any secondhand item.

On the upside, it's a thicknesser. At least neither the seller nor the shipper can mess it up by lifting or heaving it about by the planer tables.

Latest posts

Back