Buying a Lathe - powerful/sturdy enough?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joints

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi guys its been a while

Hope everyone is well and woody.

A job has just come up requiring me to make some rather large pedestals for some console, coffee tables and aTV unit. The pedestals will likely be made out of Oak and will roughly be 450x275x275 for the coffee table and around 650x250x250 for the pedestals and smaller for the TV unit.

I have been looking at a Record CL3 36 that also come with a half decent chuck and quite a large set of chisels for about £500.

My real question is will this machine be able to handle spinning a piece of timber like that without wobble/resonating all over the place? I can carve some of the meat out with an arbotech blade if need be. Anyone got experience turning timber that size? EDIT: The machine specs say you can turn something 30" diameter but is that just for a stocky bowl or across the entire length of the bed?

All the best
George

Thanks Phil.

Any idea what sort of size it could manage over the bed (Diameter and length)? On the record power website it says "Maximum swing over bed: 305 mm (12")" Is that then 12" diameter it can fit over the rails?

Any recommendations on what size machine I would need? Maybe these pedestals will have to be smaller.

I would seriously suggest that for someone who does not already have experience of turning, let alone handle such bulky projects you forget the idea of tackling such.
Lathe costs, Material costs, Learning curve, Serious risk of an accident trying to tackle such as a beginner, would lead me to advise you to outsource the components from someone like Richard Findley of this parish who has both the Machine capable of tackling such and the experience.

My machine would take such pieces but they would not be a task I would consider doing out of choice in solid heavy timber like Oak, I would not like to fork out for the cost either, timber of that bulk is likely to be either extremely expensive, end up with a very rustic appearance due to drying and stress splits or have to be laminated from several sections.

I have some experience with using a lathe from college but it is limited and has been a few years since I have been on one.
I was planning on laminating some 1.5" or 2" sections together. I have wanted a lathe for some time and I do have other projects that I could use one with.

Thank you for your honest advice. Maybe outsourcing would be more efficient. I will contact my local wood turners collective.

All the best

EDIT: Looking on youtube at people turning similar sized pedestals they are all using quite large solid cast iron machines not anything within my price budget. :(
Still has anyone got a rough idea of what diameter/length a machine like that could handle just for the sake of telling the client and for future reference if I do decide to buy a lathe.

As CHJ above.
A CL3 will do 12" diameter, but you wouldn't want it to be more than a few inches deep/long. To do oak the size you're after really needs variable speed for safety, anyway. All manufacturers claims are optimistic - you could theoretically turn 30" ( - in 6mm ply,maybe. :) ) but you'd probably be able to stop the lathe with your breath. :D

The CL3 is capable of turning 28" x 2" because that was the largest diameter I have ever turned, it became a really lovely platter that is adorning the wall of a home somewhere in London.

BUT (A big but) The CL3 MUST have a better base than the stand that Record recommend. The metalwork is too light when you consider the kinetic forces acting upon something that large at speed!

My own CL3 lathe is bolted to a tubular steel frame which in turn is bolted to 3 cast iron sections that each weigh nearly a hundredweight, then there is a shelf underneath with half tree trunks, even then vibration gives some timbers an interestingly rippled effect.

As for turning such items, my advice would be to not even contemplate such diameters without attempting all the sizes in between the maximum over the bed and the maximum outboard size.

More than once in my turning career I have stood outside my workshop watching a piece swinging around, gathering the courage to get in there and stick the sharp steel into the whirling death!

For a relative newcomer to the world of commercial turning, may I suggest that you employ someone who has the prior knowledge of lathe construction, lathe capabilities and above all, lathe safety!!!

Regards, Peter.

George, I'm also in Bristol and would be able to turn chunks like that on my lathe. If you want to pm or email me the specs I can give you a cost estimate.

I have a CL4 which is the VS version of the CL3 and I wouldn't even dream of turning oak nearly a metre long and 275mm. The lathes swing is 12" but you need to get the banjo under the stock as well, particularly for a long spindle piece like that. So 275mm is what in old money.....11" by my reckoning so.....you might just clear the banjo but that's a hell of a lot of wood. I would want larger capacities for a lump that size.

Random Orbital Bob":1jmnql1s said:
no...don't put the idea out of your mind....just don't turn that job. Still get the lathe....of course :)

You are a bad man!

Latest posts

Back