Buying a bench...

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
johnelliott":19hq8fuy said:
Another signature repeated so often that the original humour which was maybe worth a snigger the first time now only evokes a combination of yawn and heave
Honestly, John. D'you ever get out of bed on the right side? :wink:

Cheers, Alf

Rutlands were selling a Dakota beech bench for £150 last year. It's not in this springs catalogue though.

I like the look of the Hofmann benches Rutlands sell - just need to decide on the size. 1800x550mm seemed the right size but 550mm wide doesn't seem much?

What width benches have others got?

Am I worrying over nothing - is width everything ;)

Digizz,

24 inches (61cm) is the width of my becnh and I use the whole surface regularly because it has dog holes in a grid at 6 inch centres that I use for clamping stuff. It is wide enough for pretty much all I do. 55cm should be good for most things.

If you intend to place the bench in a position where you can walk all around it - joy if you can do this - then a wider one would be useful, mainly for assembly purposes. If against a wall, then 55 cm would be just about enough based on my experience.

Thanks- it will be against the wall as I don't have a huge amount of space (3.8x3.8m). Although I will be able to pull it out when needed (if I don't bolt it to the wall).

Paul,

If you're running a business and time = money, them paying £1000 for a bench could be a bargain. Then again if not... I thoroughly recommend making a bench, and it can be a very satisfying project as I found after first building my workshop. You don't have to use expensive hardwood, as you can build it like a brick ****house out of pine e.g. 4"x4" legs etc. Save the money for the best quality vice to fit. My bench is only 4' x 2', weighs probably 100kg and is very 'dead' mostly due to mass and deep section top rails to eliminate racking. If aesthetics win the day and your pockets are deep enough, then I'm sure a bought bench would be equally a deeply satisfying thing to have in your workshop. Good luck!.

Ike

I bet you could pay a local chippie to make it for less than that - and they you could specify "perfect" dimensions for your shop?

adam

Heh heh, sorry, Mike. Yes, Mike, there is. I've not actually studied it, so dunno how good a plan it is. No, I won't be building it. :D

Cheers, Alf

Digizz,

I have had the luxury of both worlds, using a bought one and building one, I prefer my homebuilt one as it’s bigger and heavier all round (GWW issue 150) and better storage for me. Every time I walk into the workshop and see it I’m glad I built it, I also get comments whenever people come to see me, something I never got with the other bench, Mass, weight, strength and bench height are the most important factors for me, whatever you decide remember you will probably spend most of woodworking day around it, tailor-made wins for me every time.
Best of luck
Ian Dalziel

Ian,
I love your bench (as well as your superbly made jigs and workshop fittings). I have my own bench (Mk III), and while a bit of an effort, it really is worth it. So, go on, make your own before you part with the cash. Make one in pine to get going-once you start using a bench you find things you like and dislike about it. (Henceforth why I am on my MkIII! :lol: )
Cheers,
Philly :D

Hi Alf, All,

Sorry mate. My God i feel a right silly person now. I had one to many at a stag night do. How bloody childish can i be. All i can do is apologize to you all.

But i must say that although the plan may not be the best, the bench looks excellent.

Regards

Mike

Hi Alf,

Come to think of it, i don't even know how i started the laptop after a night like that. I still feel a right fool though. What makes us do these silly things.

Anyway mate i am glad you understand.

There is one good thing to come out of the stag night and that is Martin (the groom) gave me the keys to his workshop. This is the same workshop that has just had a Felder combo machine installed. It's not the new model and is about 3 years old, but after spending this afternoon messing about with it let me tell you that these machines are in a different class. The thicknesser has a digital setting and the whole machine is on a stand that allows it to be turned around a whole 360 degrees, which could be a useful, and the spindle moulder also tilt's. In fact it's got so many gizmo's on it i am insanely jealous. But at least he's on honeymoon for 2 weeks which gives me plenty of time to play.

Regards

Mike

Thanks Mike - as the thread starter I can only appologize for the lack of response :( - I'm blaming the fact that I haven't had emails for the last few updates to this thread ;)

I'll have a look at the plans (not got the latest mags yet).

Although - I just ordered a Hofmann 1800 x 550 bench as I wanted to get cracking on the other projects :)

Cheers!

Mike, Ooooo, you lucky devil. :twisted:

Digizz, Cool. 8) Looking forward to the review. :wink:

Ian, I was reading your article last night; nice bench. Bet you're glad you had that 15" thicknesser though. :D

Cheers, Alf

Cheers Alf,

Bench is nice to work on, the 15" planer is good, the extra 3" from my old one makes a world of difference, my wife will vouch for that. 10" or 12" planers are still great pieces of kit though i still use one on the odd occasion.
cheers
Ian

Back