Buying a Band Saw - What’s this?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bushpilot

Reaction score
Hi. I’m looking at bandsaws on eBay and see a few with this item (arrowed). Please can someone enlighten me as to its use?
Many thanks.

Attachments

• DDB33501-D4E3-470E-B385-4B35F76E0958.jpeg
    DDB33501-D4E3-470E-B385-4B35F76E0958.jpeg
    892.6 KB · Views: 502
it is a push stick, to keep your fingers away from the blade.

Are we sure this not Jacob under an alias? :shock: :D

Bushpilot, ignore the Jacob references, they're in site humour. :roll:
Youve been told what it is, but you have to learn how to use it to make sure you still have all your fingers next xmas. :roll: :lol:

In all seriousness, the fact you dont know what it is shows you need advice.
A bandsaw can completely remove one or more fingers in the time it takes you to say "ouch". It wont even slow down. You might not even notice for a few seconds after :shock:
From day one, you have to learn to NEVER EVER put your fingers within reach of that blade while its moving, not even when the blade is slowing down.
You dont "just pull this bit of scrap out". You use the push stick.
You dont EVER push the wood into the blade with your fingers closer than a foot from it. You use the push stick.
You will end up making your own pushsticks after that one gets chewed and splintered to pieces.

Take heed, remember, and as long as you stay whole, a bandsaw is a fantastic tool to have and use. :lol: :lol:

It is actually a template to help you make your own push stick out of wood. Should be your first project. If you use the plastic one as a push stick, it will touch the blade, splinter, melt and glue itself to the workpiece. Wooden ones are so much nicer.

Many thanks indeed. I had no idea (obviously new here!). I thought it may be some sort of guide like a French curve to saw a shape! Appreciate the info. Let’s hope eBay works out!

Thats a very small bandsaw, what are your plans for using it?
That table cant be more than a foot square. That should be regarded as a model makers machine.
If youre planning on making furniture or boxes, I'm sorry but you really
need to go large on that :shock: :roll:

Thanks for the info. All I plan to do is small craftwork. I have a YouTube channel where I make some things for bushcraft and other bits and bobs:

RichardOutdoors

My next venture is knife-making so I only need a small saw to ‘rough-cut’ the handles before hand-sanding.

Appreciate the tips folks. Thanks.

Trevanion":3fjxtd7n said:
A pushstick in it's natural habitat! Quick! Someone call Jacob! :lol:
Nah there would have to 2 pushsticks before you do that. :)
He is right about the importance of using them though I have 3 hanging around the bandsaw and 4 on the tablesaw you know, belt and braces stuff.

Oh and a bloody great weight to use on top of the planer. :wink:

https://www.youtube.com/user/ridmavor

Post the link! :D What a part time job!?! Wow. :shock: =D>
Good luck with the saw. If you are lucky and see a local Inca branded saw in clean condition buy it above (virtually) any other small saw. They have a fanclub. Pay a bit extra if you have to Richard. Cutting scales evenly rather than trying to sand down is a huge difference in time and effort expended and the accuracy on the inca is worth paying for if you can get one.
Also the blade can make a huge difference. Lots of people recommend Tuffsaws.
https://www.tuffsaws.co.uk/
Phone up when you have a saw and the owner Ian can talk you through blade sizes/uses, he's a good guy.
Report back with progress. Lot's of help on here.
Penny Stove for the win!
Regards,
Chris

Those Inca bandsaws are the biz .
My tummy feels all upside down , just been watching your barrel rolls....looks so calm up there with the musical accompaniment .
What was that you were flying ? had a lot of glass canopy...

That's the one. There are two models. Either will be ok for your current purposes if it's in reasonable condition. I paid £100 for mine but I looked quite hard for a long time. Sometimes you just need to be lucky. Or not mind paying a bit more for a lifetime tool. Depends what you want I suppose. I think if you want a good small saw that inca is the best option. Just depends what your needs/circumstances are.

Not had any luck with eBay so far. I’ll keep looking. If anyone spots a potential bargain, please let me know!

Nah there would have to 2 pushsticks before you do that. :)
He is right about the importance of using them though I have 3 hanging around the bandsaw and 4 on the tablesaw you know, belt and braces stuff.

Oh and a bloody great weight to use on top of the planer. 😉
If you use two push sticks all the time the chances of getting a cut are reduced close to zero. Never quite zero - things do happen! It takes a bit of time to get used to them but it's worth it and it actually makes machining easier - increases your reach and also means you can control stuff holding very close to the blade. You might lose a bit of the stick but not your fingers.
I won't say more about the weights - obviously something only to be shared between consenting adults!
cheers
Jacob

Back