Buyer Beware

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The problem that Paul mentions is a serious issue because apart from computer components like drives they also do dodgy battery cells, Pen drives, wall chargers, power supplies, etc and then it gets worse because you get decent quality branded equipment that has been unintentionally manufactured using maybe just one fake component that lets the whole thing down, and this can find it's way into many areas of industry, utilities and medical where it could be life dependant. I have seen rolls of fake cable branded as being a quality item but when tested by the genuine OEM the copper was very low grade with impurities, and even some PLC's that were very obviously fake and yet people still take a chance and buy cheap asian goods like VFD's for woodworking machinery.
Batteries are a real problem, particularly.the power bank type. Many of these do not have proper circuitry to prevent over charging, some have none at all ! So you save a few quid but at the risk of burning your house down, or having the thing burst into flames in your pocket or on you desk. Not all Chinese stuff is bad, I have several Huan Yang inverters and none has ever missed a beat. Worth bearing in mind that they don't limit themselves to copying just Western brands, when I bought the last vfd I had to be careful as they are now faking these as well !

I have never heard of those, Would I need to get one that is a 3.1 (blue) it may be a better option.
I have one here that I bought back in the 1990's- so yeah- they have been around for a while....
;-)

I have one here that I bought back in the 1990's- so yeah- they have been around for a while....
;-)

Now I am really embarrassed, I genuinely have/had never heard of them. After looking on Amazon for them I am even more confused with there being different types for different NVMe SSD cards. o_O

Do you have a USB C connector on your device, it is the small connector that fits either way?

Yes, it states (Info on my comp that is) that I have a 3.1 which I believe is now a 3.2 as the 3.0 was upgraded to 3,1 and all previous 3.1 are now 3.2 (Nothing like a bit of confusion on a Friday morning) I also have the 3.2 leads with USB - A and a USB - C connections

I'm surprised tbh - Western Digital drives are normally pretty solid, had many myself without issue that I can recall, but just like samsung handgrenades, even the best can screw it up sometimes.

I've been pondering on something similar and a friend who's even more up on thsi sort of thing than myself (a serious PC geek) recommends the scandisk extreme : https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078SWJ...olid=1B2JO6BVB2062&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

SSD's are a different animal from platter drives and this is maybe where WD fell down, their platter drives are excellent, the blacks in particular are very highly rated for PC's, especially for large longterm storage, or the reds like the 3 NAS rigs my friend has which has almost 90 terabytes total.

Latest posts

Back