• We invite you to join UKWorkshop.
    Members can turn off viewing Ads!

buy & sell

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

Jeff

Established Member
Reaction score
How about a buy & sell section amongst members. nothing commercial mind as I find sometimes on ebay they take a hand out of some prices. i think some people get their mates to bid to over-inflate prices. Like to hear your comments. :!:

GrahamC

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Clarke 10" table saw that I would like to sell, trouble is I also have a conscience and I am just not mean enough to have some poor punter part with his hard earned for such a piece of junk.

Shame Machine Mart didn't feel the same way about me :x

Charley

Established Member
Reaction score
Good idea :D I see no problem as long as we set some guidlines.

What does everyone else think about it?

GrahamC

Established Member
Reaction score
I'd take a quid for a lot of things Jeff but on this occassion I'll decline. As honkingly bad as that saw is, it is worth more than a pound.

Even if it is only to terrify the kids in the street with its evil screech :twisted:

johnelliott

Established Member
Reaction score
Charley":p820mev0 said:
Good idea :D I see no problem as long as we set some guidlines.

What does everyone else think about it?
I think it would be an excellent idea. Can't see a problem with traders trying to use it, they quickly make themselves obvious

John

Drew

Established Member
Reaction score
I think it would be a good idea to include a section like this. As well as buying and selling, it will mean anyone who comes across a bargain can have a thread to pass on the good news.

Drew

A

Anonymous

can i sell my older hitachi 4 1/2" grinder here then???

A

Anonymous

Those of us that are only weekend DIY bodgers cannot always justify spending much money so buying some used kit would be very helpful. I live in High Wycombe, supposedly the home of the UK chair making industry, but scanning the classifieds in the local rag never brings up any tools. I'd be interested in leads to get reasonable low-end kit cheaply.

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
I wish I was not seperated by the Irish sea from you all. I have my old cheap table saw to sell, and like Graham, I wouldn't have the heart to ask for much for it considering what it is!

Given I want to replace a lot of the first cheap power tools I have, I would have been very happy to sell them to a week-ender for very cheaper provided he (or she) is from this forum.
For example I have a cheap Black&decker jigssaw that I will never use again as I now own a Metabo. I would sell it for 5 euro, that's less than 4 quids for you lot!!!!

Why, why must there be so many barriers!

Well I'll make a pile with it all... :roll:

Scrit

Established Member
Reaction score
Does that mean I can offer my "thinnings" from the hand tool collection? :wink: You'd be amazed how much dross I've accumulated over the years - and SWMBO is getting fed up with tripping over cast iron door stops the whole time.

Scrit

Dog

Established Member
Reaction score
That's the key, Buy and Sell for regular Board Members only with a disclaimer for the owners of the Board that any dispute that arises is absolutely nothing to do with them, it's upto the members to sort out themselves but a lot of people maybe wondering if they part with their hard earned cash whether they'll see the item they bought, no offence to any members with that comment by the way :wink: , maybe a points or 'ebay style' feedback area for each member that does business might put peoples' minds at rest. It might be worth a trial run just to see if it used and how well it works :)

Newbie_Neil

Established Member
Reaction score
Hi all

I think it is an excellent idea, but perhaps it should only be available to people who have been members for say, three months and who have posted ten times.

I would imagine that these tests could be included quite easily and it would give you some "feel" for the person.

Cheers
Neil

CYC

Established Member
Reaction score
This is all and well, but if you haven't noticed the administrator has been absent for quite some time now!

Alf

Established Member
Reaction score
I've been in contact with Charley just this weekend (hey, I was worried about him). He's been pretty busy just recently and hasn't been around, but he hopes to be back again soon. Meanwhile we have Sawdustalley to keep an eye on us.

I can't help feeling youse guys are complicating things a bit. I don't notice GWW saying you have to have at least 20 copies of the mag before you take out a classified ad; not much feedback there either! Just use a bit of common sense in your dealings with each other and you'll have no trouble. Obviously only the terminally stupid would send money to someone who's hardly ever posted, and equally it's good manners to only deal with members of the forum*. Setting certain requirements sounds good, but would it really work? What's to stop someone posting a load of drivel to get the right number of posts, and then posting nothing but For Sale messages? Hardly much benefit to the life of this forum, I feel. You want to deal with people who are regularly on the forum, not a blitz poster who then vanishes. Surely we're all intelligent and honourable enough to police this ourselves? After all Charley provides this facility free of charge, and the least we can do is support it as much as possible while giving him the minimum headache! Before you all get into "we need this rating system" and "that rule" why not just try simple "For Sale" posts and see if it's really needed?

Sorry if this is out of line, but I reckon I'm in more of a position to comment on this than most. :wink:

Cheers, Alf

*To my chagrin I've ended up dealing with a non-member. Not that they're not an honest person or anything, and in fact he belongs to the Other Place, but I'm not entirely comfortable with it. I didn't think to ask until the deal was agreed and I absolutely won't go back on a deal. However I immediately emailed to suggest that the person should join ASAP, rather than we both mistakenly abuse Charley's hospitality. Needless to say I shall check first in future. :oops:

Noel

Staff member
Reaction score
Got to agree with Alf. The present format works just fine and I'd suggest just posting a For Sale post as in the normal manner.
With regard to some measure of security - common sense. Usually works...

Rgds

Noel

A

Anonymous

I also post on the Suzuki Owners Club* message boards and there are several sections of the for sale forum - bikes, accessories, wanted, etc. It's stressed in the forum rules that this is caveat emptor (buyer beware). Seems to work OK as there are always lots of postings and like our own host here the administrator has enough to do without sorting out any potential squabbles.

*hence the v-twin logo I have. OK, my bike is a 90 degree v but I'm incapable of making avatars like these and this one was close enough, if a bit Harley-like (shudder).