Buy Hardwood?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D Cooper

Reaction score
Hi,

I’m just starting out in DIY projects and I am wanting to make a Ash handle for an old Billhook that I’m restoring.

The problem is that I’m struggling to find hardwood. Local building merchants just sell softwood and online searches only seem to cater for bulk buys.

Any ideas or links?

There is a List of timber merchants in the List of Stickies at the top of the forum section.

For small pieces such as you need though the suggested 'Turning Blank' search route is probably your best.

You may find that you will need to co-ordinate your purchases with other activities and call at appropriate stockists when passing as it's not unusual to have travel 1-2 hours to an appropriate source. The alternate of course is to take the postal charge hit which I have done in the past for specific quality assured stock delivered by courier.

For instance in Oxfordshire there is The Toolpost in Didcot which may be an hours drive from you but had Ash Spindle Blanks when I was there the other week.

D Cooper":3d9vkwgm said:
Hi,

I’m just starting out in DIY projects and I am wanting to make a Ash handle for an old Billhook that I’m restoring.

The problem is that I’m struggling to find hardwood. Local building merchants just sell softwood and online searches only seem to cater for bulk buys.

Any ideas or links?

PM me your address, phone no and the size you need. If I have some suitable ash, I'll post it to you.

EDIT: Just seen you have only just signed up so you wont be able to use the PM system yet.
my email is [email protected]

What is it about new joiners here? So many times we get someone join, pose a reasonable question but never comes back to look for replies and I they dont set their profile to be notified.
I made what I considered a reasonable offer of help and heard nothing.
Grrr!

Agree, quite rude not to come back to read the answers and thank people who took time to provide info.

Sent from my VKY-L09 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back