Button Jaws.

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weasel Howlett

Established Member
Reaction score
I want some of the smaler ones to fit axminster's Super Precision Chuck but they have been out of stock on Axi's website for months.

I was going to make my own from ally but but the presision cutting required is beond the shoddy metal bandsaw i have access to.

Anybody got a cunning plan? So cunning that you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox?

If you have the accessory mounting jaws you can easily fix some MDF to the jaws. It is then simple to screw on pieces of MDF to the face of the first pieces and turn them to any size you wish, large or small. If you turn a dovetail into them they will hold bowls very well for finishing the base.

a little off topic but if you need the soft buttons but are frightened by the cost of original Axminster try using the rubber lavatory seat buffers, inverted they grip quite well!

Regards Peter.

jaymar":2w02nsdt said:
If you have the accessory mounting jaws you can easily fix some MDF to the jaws. It is then simple to screw on pieces of MDF to the face of the first pieces and turn them to any size you wish, large or small. If you turn a dovetail into them they will hold bowls very well for finishing the base.

Maybe if you have finite edges like THIS
Rarely if you have curved edges like THIS
And unless you turn every piece to within close dimensional limits of each other, or to set dimensions, you will need to recut your jaws for each bowl.
Although to be fair Cole Jaws on a standard 100mm chuck have size limitations due to travel limits unless you make yourself different diameter buttons.

OK for new starters that can't afford the jaws, and it develops new skills but it becomes very much a time consuming and limiting factor if you want to go with the flow on design and spend the time turning a piece rather than faffing about with the mounting.

nev":2w02nsdt said:
how about another make? is anyone aware of what, if anything, will fit on said jaw?

I doubt if any other make would be compatible with Axi standard jaw carrier.

Weasel Howlett":3os5dwu0 said:
I want some of the smaler ones to fit axminster's Super Precision Chuck but they have been out of stock on Axi's website for months.

I was going to make my own from ally but but the presision cutting required is beond the shoddy metal bandsaw i have access to.

Anybody got a cunning plan? So cunning that you could stick a tail on it and call it a fox?

(Before I comment on the jaws, you might like to know that Ax have started to make their SPC themselves again and after satisfying several European orders, they will be back on the shelves, made in the uK, sold in the UK!)

Why Ally?

On the issue of the jaws, I have a SPC, and I made a set of Jaws using ply. Bolted the Ax chuck plates to the back of each of the quadrants - 910403/5 - I then drilled the quadrants at intervals so that it could accommodate all diameter bowls. Made the buttons using a piece of ally tubing from B and Q. Cut the tube to be the depth of the ply, plus 12mm. Glued a small 12mm deep section of oak onto the tube and turned the button between centre. Secured the button with a 6mm pan head 30mm bolt through a washer, through the tube, out the other side and then another washer and nut.

Took me about an hour to make and has served me well so far. Finished off the bottom of an 8 dia by 4 ash bowl today and if it weren't b****y freezing in my workshop I'd go and photograph it.

I don't know if it is worth giving them a call. I wanted to buy something that was out of stock, yet when you click on the 'pick from store' button it showed they where in stock in various stores and I was passing High Wycombe and picked one up.

I have just had a looked and High Wycombe and Nuneaton are showing stock of the button jaws, would it be worth calling the store and seeing if they can send them to you?

Cheers David

Good idea with the rubber doorstops Chris, will have to borrow that idea I think if you don't mind :D

Cheers, Paul

Help yourself Paul,
I purchased mine from Ebay, item number 380386768766 I shopped around a lot and found these to be the cheapest but also solid rubber.
Regards Chris.

Back