Butterfly inlays

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tim

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone used these templates to create butterfly (bow tie) inlays esp to straddle a split. If so, what cutter and guide bushes have you used to get a sharpish corner.

I saw some in a Rutland's catalogue recently and I've seen them elsewhere but I can't work out how the corners aren't quite rounded. I could understand if they were just for the hole and therefore finished by hand but I'm assuming that they are also for cutting the inlay as well with a guide bush and collar so that will automatically round the corners - or am I missing something?

Not too fussed about cutting them by hand except i want to make sure I get the depth right and I'm not sure how good I will be at that.

Any pointers, gratefully received.

T

You have to either square the hole with a chisel or round the insert corners. use with a guide bush and sleeve for inlays to get the best result.

Jason

Why do you want to use these butterflys in the first place? :? Is it to repair a split?
They used to be used quite a lot in restoration, but are now frowned on a sway to intrusive.
Much better to look at the cause of the split - panel stuck in frame (loosen it off) or more commonly excessive humidity and a fixed panel (nailed).
I normally glue a slither of same/similar material back into split (if you crush the insert in the first place in a metal vice the when you glue it in it expands like a biscuit so locking itself in) as long as you rectify the cause of the initial movement you shouldn't have too much trouble. Slither can then be trimmed and colour blended to rest of panel.

Why do you want to use these butterflys in the first place? Is it to repair a split?

No its not to repair anything - its to straddle a stable, natural split in a bench i'm making and I thought it might make an interesting addition and aslo should their be any development of the split over time it will be restrained - but primarily its decorative

Cheers

T

tim i saw that done in a magazine the table was one huge piece of wood with a big split at one end they put a few butterflies in to stop the split getting bigger it looked fantastic and so natural .

Travis, Philly,

Thanks for the links - that Nakashima bloke's not bad :shock: - inspirational stuff.

Thanks

Tim

Latest posts

Back