Butchers block defects

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mikeydee

Reaction score
I recently bought a butchers block oak worktop from a reputable company and when received I checked it and it had a few minor defects but nothing that a slight sanding wouldn't sort out, at least thats what I thought, when I sanded one of them it uncovered a half inch deep by 1 inch wide hole which was filled with some filler, the company happily replaced it but the replacement appears to have even more minor defects than the first but without sanding them I have no idea how deep they are and how much filler has been used. I was surprised that filler was used at all in the top side of the worktop and thought it would only be used in the underneath and I suppose my question is, is it normal/acceptable is it to get lots if filler in the topside of a brand new worktop?

If anyone has any advice experience in this field it would be appreciated.

Mike

A friend actually worked at a butchers that had a proper butcher's block.

Apparently the way they are "cleaned" is by literally rasping the surface off.

So the cupped appearance you see isn't due to chopping at all, as I previously assumed, but from cleaning.

I don't think the proper ones use any glue other, but are compressed from the sides?

Anyway, sounds like the one above is just a cosmetic imitation. Might be ok for that, might not be, depending on the whims of the customer, I guess? : )

I think "butchers block worktop" is a bit of a misnomer really. It seems that "butchers block" in this context generally means "made of staves". A real butchers block is end grain as the chopping surface - a worktop will be face grain.

Anyway, I wouldn't accept filler in a worktop. What happens when the worktop grows and shrinks with the seasons - will the filler drop out? Also, is the filler food safe? If they are a reputable company, ask for one with no defects (or a reduced price for a "second" if that suits you better) and they should oblige.

Back