Butcher's Block advice (again)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Aragorn

Established Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone
A while ago I hijacked Graham W's thread asking some advice about making an end grain butcher's block held in a mitred frame. (It's here in case you're wondering!)
I'm finally coming around to getting this done and I've changed my mind about the design :roll:
Basically, it is a free-standing trolley on castors. I now want the end-grain block to just sit on top of the trolley, straight down onto the legs. The tops of the legs will be held together with thin-ish rails.
I'm wondering about how to attach the block to the legs/rails to allow for its movement in both directions (x,y).
Can anyone see a problem with just screwing up through the rails through enlarged holes?
I'm worried that if the trolley gets lifted by the block at some point, it might just rip off, being a mechanical end-grain fixing. Any better solutions?
Also, can anyone see any problem with not banding around the block?
Probably worrying unduly about this, but I want this piece to last many years with heavy use and a lot of moving about.

Many thanks for your ideas

Aragorn,

How deep is the block going to be? Could you put in cross dowels to give a better grip for the screws?

The block will be around 45-50mm thick.
That's an interesting solution! Just to clarify, do you mean to insert a hidden piece within the block that's just "floating" to fix the screws to?

Aragorn":lg874sol said:
Just to clarify, do you mean to insert a hidden piece within the block that's just "floating" to fix the screws to?

Thats the idea, what does everyone else think about it?

Mikes solution I think would be stronger and be better if the top needs to be taken on and off a lot.

Yes, I had thought of threaded inserts - but mind you, I could combine the two ideas. Just to be sure :D

Aragorn":3irv6n41 said:
but mind you, I could combine the two ideas. Just to be sure :D

Belt...............Check

Bracess.........Check

Safety pins....Check

Spare string...Check :wink:

Back