Busy week on Ebay

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keystone

Established Member
Reaction score
Picked up a real nice boxed set of 13 Irwin Borchest Auger bits. They were not used much.
1d_2.JPG

An old Sargent saw vise. I sharpen my own and have been using a regular bench vise for years.
118183107.jpg

And a pair of #4's.
25_1.JPG

73_1.JPG

All are user grade, which is good as i do plan on using them!

I have been getting by with a small standard bench vise. Had to keep moving the saw as I progressed along with the sharpening. Figured it was time to get a decent saw vise. There are plenty of them to be had over here. I passed on up at an antique store just the other day. Some of the store owners think that all of them bring the same as a rare few do!

I am still looking for a decent dovetail, both rip and crosscut, and a tenon saw. I seem to find that there are many more up for sale in the UK than here...

Hi Ken--nice purchases.

I especially like the Sargent vice. Well, and the bits. :lol:

Seems like the saws shouldn't be a problem. Feel free to define decent. I can probably point you to some good vintage ones.

And if I was totally shameless, I would point you to my recent post. Oops. Kinda just did...:twisted:

Take care, Mike

Well Mike, I'm kind of, how should we say, thrifty! I have three Disston saws, the youngest one was made circa 1920. They are all in good user condition. My D8 thumbhole still has a nice shinny blade and one can clearly read the etchings on the blade. I have $16 US into all three of them. So, when I say decent, I also mean good user shape at a low price! I guess I would have all the handtools I want by now if i was willing to pay the market price. I some ways the hunt for the tool in my price range is allot more fun than the tool itself.
Now that I am retired I have allot more time to hit the local shops. Most of the time shipping charges from Ebay raise the price well above my limit.

Hi Ken...that's why I asked. I didn't want to point you to someone who had decent--as in quality--for too high a price.

Still, though it's probably the wrong time of year, I would think that in Minnesota one could find at least decent tenon saws for a good price--it's the DT saws that are realatively spendy when one finds them here.

Good luck, Mike

Your right about the wrong time of year here Mike. Most of the sales are in the spring and summer months with the bulk being in the spring. I'll find what i am after sooner or later. Until then I will keep using what I have been for years!

Back