Business decision

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Anonymous

Hi all

I am currently in a bit a of a fortunate position. I have been renovating property for a living for a while ( i'm sure that you have seen the sort of thinkg on tv, another Sarah Beeny wannabe!). I have decided that in future projects that I am going to concentrate on the carpentry/joinery side of things so I need to get "tooled up". I already have a decent set of tools for general carpentry.

How much would it cost to produce my own skirting/architrave/door lining? Does anyone else do this? How easy is it to get hold of sawn softwood of a decent quality?

Assuming you don't want to invest in a 4 headed planer and powerfed spindle moulder and the associated tooling , by the time you have prepared the sawn timber and run the moulding onto it you could have bought it for far less than it would cost to make.

Jason

Cost of planer + £2500 plus
cost of spindle moulder £2500 plus
£5000 plus

timber ?
storeage needed
production time ?

Are you going to use £5000 worth of mouldings plus those other overheads.

Capitalism=use the cheapest method.

Thanks for the prompt replies.

My first post didn't give you all the details, (3 year old boy wanted play!!).

Producing joinery items isn't all I want to achieve, only part of it. I also want to indulge in some furniture making - built-ins, beds, tables etc that I will use to dress the houses when completed. Maybe a kitchen or two, who knows!! I wasn't looking to spend 5k on machinery, I guess that I was looking at getting machines that are rated as "small" workshop. May be a band saw, P/T, spindle moulder would do to start with. If it works out, maybe I'll upgrade later.

What do you think?

i'd think that this is going to add time onto your project for which equals money. It is my understanding that in the property development business, quick turn around is key. Producing your own skirting ect seems like a false economy when you factor in what allready been mentioned. How many kitchens have you built from scratch? How long did it take?

I guess I was/am in a similar position. I bought a table saw (Ryobi) /bandsaw (Axminster AWSBS) /separate planer (CT150) and thicknesser (delta) (good decision IMHO) and cheapie Ryobi router table. A small morticer and a small cheapie bench drill. Oh..and a Woodrat but only an early original workmate (no bench

SWMBO didn't like the standard run-of-the-mill mouldings available or the heights of skirting boards for our restored/renovated house. I made up several lengths of own-design skirting boards using the above kit (mainly table saw, planer and router table)

I laid an oak floor and landing using the above kit.
I remodelled some kitchen carcasses using the above kit.

What would i do differently? I would possibly buy a Kity 419 complete with sliding carriage and extension table but the max depth of cut might be a bit of an issue. it's smaller than my Ryobi IIRC...so possibly a Scheppach.

For cutting panels, having read and researched, I'd get a Festool TS55 with two guide rails and jointing kit.

Planer - stick with same

Thicknesser - ditto

Router table - build my own

Morticer - not needed now I have the Woodrat

Bench drill - I'd get a deeper throat.

Spindle moulder - I've been tempted lots of times but the router table has sufficed. Guess if I didn't have a router table and your sort of dosh to play with then i might go for the spindle moulder.

Yes Saint, go for it. If you are into woodwork. You can make all sorts of stuff with appropriate tooling. I started off with a full workshop, making furniture as well as renovating our house and have now turned to property development and making stuff for that.

Saint

Cost of planer + £2500 plus
cost of spindle moulder £2500 plus
£5000 plus

Really DW??????? I don't think so!

Saint. You REALLY DON'T need to spend the kind of money stated above.

Assuming that you only want to run off enough for the odd house rather than in bulk to sell, then a decent home-made router table and 2-3hp router with a selection of cutters profile will set you back £400-500.

I would recommend a big router (Triton would be my choice)
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3907&highlight=triton

and a decent sized table (Trend? or Triton). In my opinion, if you have some skill and tools, then it is better to make your own table. Loads of memebers have and posted details here - do a search

mine is here from NYW plans:
https://www.ukworkshop.co.uk/forums/viewtopic.php?t=3990&highlight=table

You should be able to make most skirting profiles and architrave with this kit (I have made about 150m of skirting and architrave profiles on mine!!!)

An alternative might be the WoodRat - I don't have one but many here do and will soon tell you if it is suitable. I believe that is is very good at cutting long profiles

A planer £2500 + :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

You can pick up a very nice planer/thicknesser for around £400-600. I have the SIP and I and many members find it is great! It cost less than £400. An aternative might be the Axminter or Elektra bekum.

Saint, i am with Tony, you don't need to spend anywhere near £5,000 to setup the sort of shop you want to setup. If you are only going to make furniture and mouldings to stage the property then as Tony states you can get the machines etc for a lot less.

Now on the other hand if you are going to take commissions for one off pieces of furniture you may need to spend a bit more, but even then you don't need to spend that amount.

One avenue you could look at is used or recon pro machines, because these can be good value, and there is a lot about at the moment due to the new rules and regs they have introduced.

Good luck with what ever machines you buy.

Regards

Woody

Latest posts

Back