Business Banking

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MMUK

Established Member
Reaction score
I'm currently with Barclays and a little pineappled off if I'm honest. When I opened my business account I didn't realise that the debit card they gave me was one of these new-fangled contactless cards. So today I went into the local branch and asked for it to be changed to a normal, Regular Joe debit card only to be told I can't have one, this is the only business debit card they do.

Am I the only one who finds this a humongous security flaw? If, woodworking God forbid, some little scrote gets a hold of my card, he could clear me out in no time as more and more payment terminals have this contactless technology.

Anyway, I've put in an official complaint about this as, like I said, it's a major flaw in security. If they don't do something about it I shall have no option but to change banks (again, FFS!). :evil:

Those contactless terminals will only work up to £20 per transaction, I think. They should be able to put a limit of so many transactions in a day before checking. (at least, I would have done if I was still designing card systems for Barclays!!)

If they are unsure about a contactless transaction, there is also a pin check which comes into force before a transaction will go ahead.

Chip and pin can be by passed , as demonstrated by my local garage when I forgot pin number of new card????

Hivenhoe":tuk21asd said:
Chip and pin can be by passed , as demonstrated by my local garage when I forgot pin number of new card????

Anyone with a card machine can do this, we do it all the time at work for phone payments.

I really don't see the appeal of contactless as it only takes a few seconds to put your pin in, seems like just another gimmick to me.

Matt

Very frustrating, Mick.
And thanks for the link, paultnl - might give it a go.
Alternatively, just putting some silver foil in your wallet is apparently enough to block the signal, (though I haven't tried)

Back