Burr Walnut

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GerardHickey

Reaction score
I am restoring a vintage Jaguar and need burr walnut for the dashboard, does anyone know where I can get hold of it?
Many thanks.

Somewhere on youtube there are videos of one of the high-end manufacturers (might be Bentley?) showing you around their woodshop. They veneer onto the curves and then spend a lot of time filling and colourmatching the patches in the burr before the many coats of laquer that get applied. It's a very time consuming process.

Thank you both, i will have a look. I was hoping for solid wood as it has to be rounded on the front edge.
You will have to look long and hard before you find a Walnut BURR available in the solid - it demands a much higher price when cut as veneer. As far as I'm aware Jaguar (nor any of the high end motor manufacturers) never used solid timber for their dashboards.

My Father worked for Rover in the 30's and did make the window and door trims from solid Walnut but not 'Burr'.

As BJM has said, veneering a dashboard is a very time consuming process.

Back