Burr veneer with open pores

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackswanwood

Still Learning
Reaction score
I have some Yew burr veneer which has a smattering of open pores. They are 2-3mm in diameter. It will be used with an MDF substrate as part of the lid on a jewellery box.

Any advice as to how best to deal with the pores would be most welcome. I am thinking of melting shellac into them but given the inevitability of glue bleed through am also wondering about switching from the Titebond Cold Press Veneer glue that I usually use to Cascamite/Polymite and adding some pigment to colour it?

Cheers

Robert

I'm sure the filling aspect is going to be a horses-for-courses thing. Shellac obviously is one choice, with a proven track record and then some. These days there'd be a fair number who would use tinted/filled epoxy. Others sanding dust and superglue.

On the adhesive, some prior threads here suggest Cascamite is problematical for this; alternative UF glues or glue film have been suggested as alternatives at various times.

But how about PVA and ironing? Hide glue? Both of these give the opportunity to clean any bleed-through from the surface as required, although it shouldn't be a big issue with the former.

Thanks, I am thinking of almost making a virtue of the Cascamite bleed through. ie it bleeds through the pore and then when dry gets cut back with a cabinet scraper so no further filling is needed?

I could experiment and try both I suppose!

I'd use some hide glue and some sanding dust from a similar area that is not used and just make a paste and rub in and leave to dry, then lightly sand. Also means their will be no reaction with what ever finish you then choose. Though pva could do the job too

Back