Burr puzzle xmas gifts

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aldel

Established Member
Reaction score
Well its that time again and so here is another idea for cheap to make gifts. Burr puzzles are tricky things to assemble and so should keep the recipient occupied for some time. They can be made by hand with a saw and chisels or with a radial arm or table saw.
I have posted John Bailey's method on my site here http://www.aldel.co.uk/feedback4.htm. This makes use of a WoodRat making it a simpler way to churn them out.
completed-puzzle.jpg

One inch square hardwood pieces are required and would probably look good in differing coloured timber. A good way to practice your dovetail saw and chisel technique!

Regards, Aldel

Aldel

Great idea using the 'Rat to cut the pieces. Made a couple of cube puzzles without the use of a 'Rat and it was hard going to get the accuracy required.

Bob

Aldel,

The 'Rat and wooden puzzles - a couple of my weaknesses. Very tempted now... :oops: Thanks for the page of info. =D>

Cheers, Alf

That's it Dave. As usual you have made a superb Sketchup drawing that makes things very clear.
Who is going to be the first to produce a completed puzzle?

:D aldel

Who is going to be the first to produce a completed puzzle?
Hi aldel, I've made one, don't have a "rat",made it on the circular saw,it drove me mad :evil: :evil: even though I had the solution I still couldn't do it. Threw it in the draw and went to bed. Got up today,photo copied the solution and eventually got it :D :D.

Very good puzzle Cheers Alan.

Yup, good book that for anyone interested in puzzles, although its produced for the mathmatical elegance of the designs rather than with a view to making them from timber. Although most of them can be (as evidenced by the pictures) it requires an awful lot of skill and probably patience.

I have made some of the 2D ones before (Archimedes loculus is an xmas gift for a friend this year in maple and black walnut) and fancy a bash at some of the simpler cuboid 3D ones when I have time. Work sure does get in the way of pleasure sometimes!

Steve.

Back