Burr Oak (and Crown Pro PM Ellsworth Bowl gouge)

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Taffy Turner

Established Member
Reaction score
I was so impressed with Asleitch's turned oak christmas tea light holder, that I am going to have a bash at one myself (immitation being the sincerest form of flattery!!). 8)

I fancy doing mine in burr oak though. The snag being, that I have never turned any burr material before. (I am only a novice after all! ) :)

Does anyone have any tips? Presumably an oil finish will be best, as it won't cause any problems getting caught in the fissures?

Also, does anyone know where I can buy a Crown Pro PM Ellsworth signature bowl gouge? I bough a couple of Crown Pro PM tools at the Yandles show, and have been very impressed with them. They really do hold an edge much longer than ordinary HSS, and being from Crown, they cost about the same as HSS from most other manufacturers. I just wish they would make the handles slightly slimmer, as I have got small hands! :oops:

Hi Taffy,

I'm not sure where's best to buy the the Ellsworth signature gouge from, but whatever you do GET ONE. I would give Axminster a call, they always seem to give good value and offer a decent service.

Crown sent me one over almost two years ago and for me its the first tool out of the rack in the morning and it usually stays in use all day. The results of the review are still on Creative Woodturning. With it I can take really massive cuts to quickly get to size and then take really fine cuts with the smoothest of finishes.

The only thing I now do different to the review is sharpen it using the Tru Grind system, it's so easy and simple to use. The Tormek still gives a better edge but it takes so long to do and set up.

Regards....Mike

Hi Mike,

Thanks for the advice. It was partly as a result of reading your review that I have been hankering after an Ellsworth gouge.

I have been able to find a few places that sell the HSS version, but I would prefer the Pro PM one.

I have a Oneaway Wolverine grinding jig - would I be able to reproduce the grind using that do you think?

Regards

Gary

Hello Taffy,

The short answer is "yes". The Ellsworth or Celtic grind is easy to replicate but hard to get back to if you lose it.

What I would suggest is that as soon as you get the tool go to the sharpening jig, put the tool in it and then set up as if you were going to sharpen. Write down all the settings for the jig and don't lose them.

I've was lucky enough to get a full set of the Wolverine jigs direct from Oneway in Canada and they are easy to set up and use, there is a special Vari-Grind attachment for the swept back gouges which you probably have. In the kit there is also a grindstone wheel balancing kit that is brilliant, I took a cheapo grinder with poor wheels just to test it and after the balancing collars were added there was no vibration in the grinder at all.

All I want now is one of their lathes to match.

Regards....Mike

Right, I now have my Ellsworth bowl gouge. (Managed to track one down at Benmail - no, website, no credit cards, had to send them a cheque - how quaint! Good service though - got the gouge two days after they got my cheque)

I used it to set up my varigrind jig, and then ground my other two bowl gouges to the same pattern.

They are certainly much easier to use now! :D

I must admit that I am finding the instructions that come with the gouge a bit incomprehensible - would it have killed them to include a couple of pictures? :cry:

I guess I will have to shell out the £20 for the video from Craft Supplies. :shock:

I have also got a couple of 12" dia by 3" thick burr blanks from Stiles and Bates - one in burr oak, and one in burr elm.

Does anyone have any tips on turning and finishing burr materials as per my original question?

Cheers,
Gary

Back