Members can turn off viewing Ads!

burnishing cut with skew?

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
is what exactly? :?
i was reading somewhere on the web about pen making and the comment was 'turn using skew with the final cut being a burnishing cut with the skew' or words to that effect.
is this just a case of rubbing the bevel firmly to 'polish' the wood?

jumps

Established Member
Reaction score
I think I should have pointed out that higher speed is better than the concept of rubbing 'firmly' in my view - firmly will just lead to a rather bumpy, but shiny, finish with many woods and you are (I assume) looking for super smooth and little, or no, sanding.

relatively high revs and a sharp tool should leave you with a nice dilemma - "can I get this any better with abrasives, or not?" :)

Jensmith

Established Member
Reaction score
When you achieve it you'll know! I don't manage it that often yet but it does leave a great finish when you do.

nev

Established Member
Reaction score
jumps":2j0gf4u6 said:
I think I should have pointed out that higher speed is better than the concept of rubbing 'firmly' in my view - firmly will just lead to a rather bumpy, but shiny, finish with many woods and you are (I assume) looking for super smooth and little, or no, sanding.

relatively high revs and a sharp tool should leave you with a nice dilemma - "can I get this any better with abrasives, or not?" :)
i cant go any higher! i turn pens (and anything similar in size) at full whack (2000rpm) and using a freshly sharpened sorby oval skew (809h). i'm pretty happy with the results i get now :) but they still need quick hit with abrasives. i generally do a couple of light passes, lathe off, with the grain, with 320/400/MM/brasso. and since xmas, finishing with hut ppp sticks. i keep trying but cannot get a consistently good finish with the CA/BLO. 1 in 10 i get spot on but the other 9 :(

it was just that term 'burnishing' alongside 'skew'. to me burnishing is rubbing whereas the skew means something as sharp as i can get it. a bit of an oxywotsit, like accurate estimate, original copies and jumbo shrimp! :roll: