Built in wardrobes

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Karl

Established Member
Reaction score
Just finished this job. 25mm tulipwood doors with 9mm mrmdf panels. Sprayed in Morrells 30% sheen water based top coat.

Cheers

Karl

An excellent job, well finished, I've made some like this so I know the work involved,
However,Taking this to be recess each side of a chimney, I personally don't like the middle section "sticking out"
leaving the left hand side in shadow.
Would much rather see either a flat wall in the centre, dummy doors or even the original fire place re vamped.
However customer is king (or queen) and this was what the they wanted, no doubt,
But still an addition for you're port folio I would think.
Regards Rodders

Cheers Rodders

I understand what you are saying about the shadow on the LHS, but the customer had very specific storage requirements for the central section. The fireplace was long gone and is just a chimney breast now. I did toy with running the doors straight through the LHS door, but thought it would look unbalanced and would encroach into the room too much.

Cheers

Karl

Lovely finish. Accurate joinery, great work there. Again not your call I appreciate but from a design perspective the client might have considered taking them direct through to ceiling and dispensing with the crown moulding as imho it's too close to the ceiling. Could have finished with a simple raised panel echoing the door design.

I find in practice those little voids are too small to store anything and just create a spider and dust haven.

phil.p":33jvp841 said:
How wide are the large shelves and what are they made of? They look to me as if if swmbo got near them she would overload them and they would bow. :oops: (I've got one very similar to do :) )

The shelves in the larger wardrobes are upto 1100 wide. 18mm MFC. Supported with 2 pins on the rear panel, and 1 pin in the back of the central face frame upright, so wouldn't expect any sag as maximum unsupported span is 550mm.

Cheers

Karl

Random Orbital Bob":208ybbbn said:
Lovely finish. Accurate joinery, great work there. Again not your call I appreciate but from a design perspective the client might have considered taking them direct through to ceiling and dispensing with the crown moulding as imho it's too close to the ceiling. Could have finished with a simple raised panel echoing the door design.

I find in practice those little voids are too small to store anything and just create a spider and dust haven.

We did talk about this, but the ceiling does wander from level quite a bit :lol: Also, i'm not a big fan of built in cabinetry without some form of cornice - it doesn't look "finished", if you understand what I mean.

But then again, my partner (as in home, not business) isn't a fan of this style and insists that "ours" are going right upto the ceiling.... but we'll see.....

Cheers

Karl

That is a lovely job Karl. I am the opposite of the others and like the break front design, I think it makes them look more classy. I do like the robes to fit up to the ceiling with a nice cornice but as you stated with a run out it is far better if there is a shadow gap. I am curious as to why you use 25mm doors though?

mailee":uly2zik0 said:
I am curious as to why you use 25mm doors though?

I quite often make them thicker - just feel a little more solid with a 9mm panel and proper room for the tenon. Plus, these doors had a moulding planted on the panel, so it allowed it to be seated at the correct depth in relation to the rails/stiles.

Cheers

Karl

Back