Built-in table saw

UKworkshop.co.uk

Help Support UKworkshop.co.uk:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RogerS

Established Member
Reaction score
Has anyone built-in their table saw into something a bit larger?

Does anyone know of any table saws where the guard and riving knife can be easily/quickly removed so that the saw blade can be dropped completely leaving a flush surface?

Many thanks

Roger

My kity bestcombi 2000 can have the riving knife removed in under 60secs leaving a nice flat surface for assembly etc.

Jason

I have a Unisaw with Excalibur overhead guard and Beisemeyer clip in riving knife.

Push the guard out of the way, pull the sprung release pin on the riving knife and out it comes.

Literaly 10 seconds. (and another 10 seconds to put it all back)

Jeff

Noel

Very neat and elegant. Does the extractor pipe get in the way at times?

What TS do you use? Have you removed the gaurds/riving knife for photographic clarity?

Cheers

Roger

Roger Sinden":2hta2kx2 said:
Noel

Very neat and elegant. Does the extractor pipe get in the way at times?

What TS do you use? Have you removed the gaurds/riving knife for photographic clarity?

Thanks Roger, I've about 800mm clearance between the blade and the overhead guard upright, which is plenty for my needs.
The riving knife, as mentioned, clips in and out. The TS is a US Delta.

Noel

Noel

A delta 36-451 ? Is that right? I looked it up today but don't see it available anymore. Do you know if the latest version is as good or what differences there might be?

Roger

Roger Sinden":17odqoha said:
Noel

A delta 36-451 ? Is that right? I looked it up today but don't see it available anymore. Do you know if the latest version is as good or what differences there might be?

Think 479 is the base model. The Ltd/Platinum edition available then had the extra CI wing, tableboard and mobile base as a pack. When I got it 3 or 4 yrs ago there was little available CI wise other than Wadkin etc at £2K or so and nothing with Dado ability. Very happy with it.
No idea what current stuff is like since the B & D buy. Mine is 100% US with Marathon motor, don't know what or where the components are made or assembled these days.

Noel

Roger... I've posted about my saw previously; the only thing it has going for it is the blade, and that was aftermarket..
Like any other multi-purpose work station, its a collection of compromises, compromises that I'm no longer prepared to tolerate.. Thesedays most of my work is done with hand-tools; trying to plane on a bench that shoogles on 6 swivel castors isn't fun.. I figure to build a proper cabinetmakers bench, replace the table saw for a bandsaw and see what difference that makes...
When used primarily as a saw, the rig works fairly well; I can't think of another way to get 36" rip capacity from a cheap Ferm saw. Thesedays however I need a stable level platform much more than I need rip capacity.

I have a startrite 255 which came without riving knife.When I made one it seemed to be just off line at the top of the blade but perfect at the bottom.I realised that this would annoy the hell out of me every time I used the saw so I thought I would try a different approach. I made a new insert out of aluminium and riveted a small, (1inch) fin at the back. It works fine and can be swapped in three seconds. After thinking I was a right smartypants I saw the idea in a book I had so it probably wasn't my idea at all.

Roger Sinden":2cnvcdtu said:
Has anyone built-in their table saw into something a bit larger?

Does anyone know of any table saws where the guard and riving knife can be easily/quickly removed so that the saw blade can be dropped completely leaving a flush surface?

Many thanks Roger

On a scheppach TS2500 the blade winds completely down under the table, and as the riving knife doesn't sit proud of the blade you can take trenching cuts with it, without having to remove it.

Takes about 30 seconds for me to unclip the crown guard and wind the blade down under the table.

In fact normally I leave it fully down most of the time, only winding it back up when I need to take a cut.

Adam

Latest posts

Back